EunTalk: "Upperclassmen"

Eun-duru

Former Staff
Apr 9, 2017
NorthEast USA
Hello everyone!
If you've been observing my forum posts, you'll see that I often post things that really make you think. Things that make you want to comment your feelings, and get your opinion out there.
So I decided to make a segment for myself! Introducing the new "show": EunTalk!
These posts will be on thoughtful topics, and I'd like the community to respond to them! Let's begin!

Today's topic is "High School Upperclassmen". Or more specifically, upperclassmen vs. underclassmen.

A couple days ago, I was on my way to a track meet. We were taking the school bus as usual, and our bus was all girls as usual. However, something that was NOT usual was the behavior of the upperclassmen.
If you are unclear of what an upperclassman is, it's basically 11th and 12th graders in high school. Underclassmen are considered the 9th and 10th graders. For reference in this story, I'm a 9th grader.
Usually, I notice that the senior and juniors on our bus are relatively quiet, and like to talk with themselves. And I don't mean they're quiet and antisocial, they're the opposite of that. I would say they're the "popular" high school group, and I mean 90% of them. Each of them is snappy, rude, and they disrespect the underclassmen like in the movies.
My friend Hannah and I are sitting right behind the group of 7-8 upperclassmen, which we originally don't think is a problem. We begin the ride by slouching down to get comfortable. Immediately a senior turns around and snappily asks me to "stop kicking her". So I'm like ok, I wasn't even kicking you but ok?
A couple minutes in, I start telling Hannah how I'm going to get so little sleep that night, since I have a boatload of homework to do. From the corner of my eye, I can see two upperclassmen putting on this ignorant face and rolling their eyes at each other. I honestly want to go up to them at snap at them in their faces, but I'm too respectful to do that. But seriously, how ignorant are they? They don't understand that I have Chinese School, or play piano, or have any extracurriculars. They think that since I'm a freshman, I have no work and all I do is complain about high school. Gross.
A while into the ride, the upperclassmen start talking about prom, and how you shouldn't bring another boy to prom if you already have a boyfriend. In my opinion, this topic is very clear. Why would you bring another boy to prom if you have your own date? That's nothing to fight over...? But no. These upperclassmen started screaming, and by screaming I don't mean yelling. They started SCREAMING at each other, and a few started standing up and asking the entire bus what they thought of the topic. One girl ran to the back of the bus and sat in the aisle in a rampage. If they were trying to look mature as upperclassmen, they were definitely failing now.
It got to the point where the two coaches had to stand and shut them up, and eventually the rumble boiled down. But oh no, this was not the start of it.

The meet went pretty well, I hit a personal record on the 100m, and we were there until 9 at night. Nobody had expected the meet to go so late, and we ended up riding home at 9:30 at night. Everyone was silent. It was dark and silent and one of the upperclassmen was complaining about how her family didn't save her potatoes for dinner. But freshmen, being the peppy kids we are, decided that sleep is for the weak. My friend Yaman and I started making creepy faces at each other in the dark, which honestly gave me nightmares that night, mind you. But eventually it got to the point where Yaman, Hannah and I were all making creepy faces and laughing. Keep in mind that we are only laughing a little, not even close to yelling.
Immediately the upperclassmen start complaining, yelling at us to be quiet.
"Oh my god, it's 9 at night, shut up already!"
"Freshman, be quiet, God!"

Ok, first of all, hypocritical much? Immediately I snap at them;
"We weren't the ones screaming on the ride there...!"

Every single one of them is quiet. They didn't expect a freshman to yell at them, because they thought they had power over us. And before you say anything, yes, this is the kind of person I am. I love to stand up for my beliefs. I never take ANYTHING from anyone, regardless of how much higher they are than me. If I believe someone is morally wrong, I WILL call them out.
Second of all, don't they have so much more homework than us, as stated in the start of my talk? They should be used to staying up at this time, am I right or wrong?

Anyways, what are your thoughts on this? Have you ever experienced anything like this? Isn't it disgusting how they treated me?

Thanks for joining me in the first episode of EunTalk! Cya later! <3

Donut

Jan 14, 2017
your nearby Krispy Kreme
Haha EunTalk lol, I love the name! In real life I am a bit snappy as well, and I just can't contain myself. I am an 8th grader and usually at my school they pay respect to us if we complain about our homework since for us it is pretty hard for our level (I don't know, people might be different in other countries) but I think the respect here was horrible, and pretty disgusting. Since they are seniors they should try to make the people under them feel more welcome instead. Plus, since you guys are younger they should understand. Let's pray the seniors don't continue to be this rude :(:(

Reactions: Eun-duru

lucyluhoo

Former Staff
lucyluhoo
lucyluhoo
Jan 1, 2017
yingr hingr dingr
Ok so, I've done this before, I just never ever post. I understand your beliefs and me and you are very similar. Anyway, I don't really get treated like that since I have siblings that are upperclassmen and that nobody wants to mess with a strong, aggressive 9th grader. (me) But, I get you cause it happened in junior high. Stand up for your beliefs, and if they are arguing for a useless point, tell them. Or curse em out. Joking :p

Jo3512

Cyber Bullied
Maggot
Dec 7, 2016
Hello everyone!
If you've been observing my forum posts, you'll see that I often post things that really make you think. Things that make you want to comment your feelings, and get your opinion out there.
So I decided to make a segment for myself! Introducing the new "show": EunTalk!
These posts will be on thoughtful topics, and I'd like the community to respond to them! Let's begin!

Today's topic is "High School Upperclassmen". Or more specifically, upperclassmen vs. underclassmen.

A couple days ago, I was on my way to a track meet. We were taking the school bus as usual, and our bus was all girls as usual. However, something that was NOT usual was the behavior of the upperclassmen.
If you are unclear of what an upperclassman is, it's basically 11th and 12th graders in high school. Underclassmen are considered the 9th and 10th graders. For reference in this story, I'm a 9th grader.
Usually, I notice that the senior and juniors on our bus are relatively quiet, and like to talk with themselves. And I don't mean they're quiet and antisocial, they're the opposite of that. I would say they're the "popular" high school group, and I mean 90% of them. Each of them is snappy, rude, and they disrespect the underclassmen like in the movies.
My friend Hannah and I are sitting right behind the group of 7-8 upperclassmen, which we originally don't think is a problem. We begin the ride by slouching down to get comfortable. Immediately a senior turns around and snappily asks me to "stop kicking her". So I'm like ok, I wasn't even kicking you but ok?
A couple minutes in, I start telling Hannah how I'm going to get so little sleep that night, since I have a boatload of homework to do. From the corner of my eye, I can see two upperclassmen putting on this ignorant face and rolling their eyes at each other. I honestly want to go up to them at snap at them in their faces, but I'm too respectful to do that. But seriously, how ignorant are they? They don't understand that I have Chinese School, or play piano, or have any extracurriculars. They think that since I'm a freshman, I have no work and all I do is complain about high school. Gross.
A while into the ride, the upperclassmen start talking about prom, and how you shouldn't bring another boy to prom if you already have a boyfriend. In my opinion, this topic is very clear. Why would you bring another boy to prom if you have your own date? That's nothing to fight over...? But no. These upperclassmen started screaming, and by screaming I don't mean yelling. They started SCREAMING at each other, and a few started standing up and asking the entire bus what they thought of the topic. One girl ran to the back of the bus and sat in the aisle in a rampage. If they were trying to look mature as upperclassmen, they were definitely failing now.
It got to the point where the two coaches had to stand and shut them up, and eventually the rumble boiled down. But oh no, this was not the start of it.

The meet went pretty well, I hit a personal record on the 100m, and we were there until 9 at night. Nobody had expected the meet to go so late, and we ended up riding home at 9:30 at night. Everyone was silent. It was dark and silent and one of the upperclassmen was complaining about how her family didn't save her potatoes for dinner. But freshmen, being the peppy kids we are, decided that sleep is for the weak. My friend Yaman and I started making creepy faces at each other in the dark, which honestly gave me nightmares that night, mind you. But eventually it got to the point where Yaman, Hannah and I were all making creepy faces and laughing. Keep in mind that we are only laughing a little, not even close to yelling.
Immediately the upperclassmen start complaining, yelling at us to be quiet.
"Oh my god, it's 9 at night, shut up already!"
"Freshman, be quiet, God!"

Ok, first of all, hypocritical much? Immediately I snap at them;
"We weren't the ones screaming on the ride there...!"

Every single one of them is quiet. They didn't expect a freshman to yell at them, because they thought they had power over us. And before you say anything, yes, this is the kind of person I am. I love to stand up for my beliefs. I never take ANYTHING from anyone, regardless of how much higher they are than me. If I believe someone is morally wrong, I WILL call them out.
Second of all, don't they have so much more homework than us, as stated in the start of my talk? They should be used to staying up at this time, am I right or wrong?

Anyways, what are your thoughts on this? Have you ever experienced anything like this? Isn't it disgusting how they treated me?

Thanks for joining me in the first episode of EunTalk! Cya later! <3
*sigh* highschool...... Happy to leave it, but not ready for college....

Reactions: Donut and Eun-duru

Wonder

Jan 27, 2017
;)
me being in 7th grade there really are people like this i just ignore them and try to kick their butts sometimes lol. It was good what you did i wish i had good friends like urs that arent on the internet xD. i I I really like EunTalk tho great idea ;P

Jo3512

Cyber Bullied
Maggot
Dec 7, 2016
I was homeschooled for a long time, it's fun but it is very boring OwO (but hey you can sleep in if you go to sleep)
I have a friend who is homeschooled he has nevery called it boring (note he is in highschool.) Plus he is also a grade ahead. So I would disagree with it being boring, but eh could just be your teacher.

lucyluhoo

Former Staff
lucyluhoo
lucyluhoo
Jan 1, 2017
yingr hingr dingr
I have a friend who is homeschooled he has nevery called it boring (note he is in highschool.) Plus he is also a grade ahead. So I would disagree with it being boring, but eh could just be your teacher.
I was bored when I finished my schoolwork and didn't have anything to do, note this is when I didn't have a computer and I had already read all the books I could access

Jo3512

Cyber Bullied
Maggot
Dec 7, 2016
I was bored when I finished my schoolwork and didn't have anything to do, note this is when I didn't have a computer and I had already read all the books I could access
Oh so you did not have extracuricular (however you spell it) activities? That could be a difference as when you homeschool through a school you can still do things with the school.

H

Heather

My personal opinion on this topic is that your story is biased based on your perception of your own "in group" and what you consider to be the "out group". When you study psychology you learn that as humans we tend to group ourselves into many groups. Anything like you, is your "in group" and anything unlike you is the "out group". As we grow we learn to associate negative feelings toward the "out group" while at the same time having good views about our own "in group". In this case, your "in group" is underclassmen and the "out group" is upperclassmen because you are separated by class year. Being a scientist, I read things looking for facts, not opinions and as I read things my mind focuses on bias so that I can better evaluate the situation at hand from an unbiased standing. As I read your story, the explanation is littered with assumptions of the other kids on your bus based on your perception of them. It appears like you went into writing this story (whether consciously or not) with the intention of speaking better about your "in group" and doing everything in your power to make the "out group" appear less than your own. I think that both groups have their downsides but after a long day, perhaps you should just relax and try to use reason to realize that neither group is without fault here. There will always be bad people, no matter what class year you are in. You cannot just generalize a large part of the population based on your perception of them through not realizing bias and grouping, that's called stereotyping. In the end, you guys are all together in the prison we all high school. Make the best of it, don't stereotype and be biased, just live your life and let them live theirs. Your favorite scientist admin, Heather

Eun-duru

Former Staff
Apr 9, 2017
NorthEast USA
My personal opinion on this topic is that your story is biased based on your perception of your own "in group" and what you consider to be the "out group". When you study psychology you learn that as humans we tend to group ourselves into many groups. Anything like you, is your "in group" and anything unlike you is the "out group". As we grow we learn to associate negative feelings toward the "out group" while at the same time having good views about our own "in group". In this case, your "in group" is underclassmen and the "out group" is upperclassmen because you are separated by class year. Being a scientist, I read things looking for facts, not opinions and as I read things my mind focuses on bias so that I can better evaluate the situation at hand from an unbiased standing. As I read your story, the explanation is littered with assumptions of the other kids on your bus based on your perception of them. It appears like you went into writing this story (whether consciously or not) with the intention of speaking better about your "in group" and doing everything in your power to make the "out group" appear less than your own. I think that both groups have their downsides but after a long day, perhaps you should just relax and try to use reason to realize that neither group is without fault here. There will always be bad people, no matter what class year you are in. You cannot just generalize a large part of the population based on your perception of them through not realizing bias and grouping, that's called stereotyping. In the end, you guys are all together in the prison we all high school. Make the best of it, don't stereotype and be biased, just live your life and let them live theirs. Your favorite scientist admin, Heather
Very much agreed, Heather. Although I do see this kind of predator-on-prey behavior in high school related movies often. I support your idea though, I'm definitely putting them into a box. I do have upperclassmen friends of my own, so I guess I didn't realize that point before I decided to rant it all out. Thanks for your input! ^-^

Uni

Apr 8, 2017
narnia
I left my school due to bullying and am now homeschooled..."Don't let anyone cover your rainbow"! - ImRainbowUnicorn
Nu-uh, show those bullies some lesson. Not only does bullying make you feel bad, it makes the bully powerful. They aim for the tiny/weaker people to tease on, they make you cry, and taunt you. Don't listen to them, always a bright side. Put your headphones on and volume up~!

Toryn

faireze
faireze
Oct 26, 2016
me being in 7th grade there really are people like this i just ignore them and try to kick their butts sometimes lol. It was good what you did i wish i had good friends like urs that arent on the internet xD. i I I really like EunTalk tho great idea ;P
Same lol