Should something be done about José?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jazz450

jazz450
jazz450
Nov 25, 2016
houston, texas
Hello everyone, I just wanted to touch base on our family-friendly, handlebar-mustached NPC, José, who works at our local McDonald’s. We know him, love him, and he’s been there forever, so everything’s good, right? Actually, it’s not really. See, if you take a closer look at this situation, José’s skin is different from the annoying cashier who works up front, showing that he’s of different race. He’s working in the back of McD’s as a cook, because that’s the only position he could get? Furthermore, he’s wearing an orange poncho and sombrero, which makes the whole situation cultural and a bit racist to begin with. Now, while no one ever said that the job “McDonald’s Cook” was the only spot he could get, it does certainly imply a bit of racism and is eye-brow raising for a kid-friendly server. Who knows? Maybe José really wanted to be a cook for America’s worst fast food restaurant. But I find it unacceptable that this was the first choice NPC that McCities chose.

Thank you for taking time to read this thread, and I would really appreciate it if something is done about this situation. I have uploaded a poll just to see everyone’s opinion on this matter. And really, come on guys, it’s 2018. What’s with all of the discrimination, still?

Reactions: Laurel
Jun 27, 2018
Arizona boiis
"And really, come on guys, it's 2018."

Exactly, apparently, everything nowadays is "racist", "sexist", or "culturistic"
You're looking way too deep into this. I find it quite funny with his poncho and his sombrero and his mustache. They're were making it be a joke, not some sort of "symbol" or "deeper meaning." José is just a regular NPC that works for McDonald's. " ... and is eye-brow raising for a kid-friendly server." It IS a kid-friendly server, and that's why they added it. To make the kids laugh, and get a kick out of it. " ... this was the first choice NPC that McCities chose." How do you know that it was their first choice? They could've added him to a Del Taco or a Mitchell's or a Hotel. I highly doubt it wasn't their first choice.

What you said can be applied to anything. "Oh, there's a white girl working at Taco Bell" or 'Oh, there's a black woman working at Starbucks."
So don't get offended about an NPC who is in a game.

Thank you,

~ Oviia <3

jazz450

jazz450
jazz450
Nov 25, 2016
houston, texas
I get your point. You think I’m overreacting, and sure, I am digging way too deep in a hole that doesn’t go down far, but it’s little things like this and people think “oh, that’s funny!” or, “wow, because so and so said this, I’m going to go say it!” Yes, it’s just and NPC, in a make-belief McDonalds, but the racism is still there, though it probably wasn’t intentional.

Also, I’d like to point out that absolutely no one would critisise a white girl for working at Taco Bell, because people of the lighter coloured race are expected to “actually get jobs” whereas Mexicans, Central Americans, and South Americans are not. It also would make sense that a white person is working for an American company, so people aren’t going to mess with that.

Error

May 27, 2018
That is ridiculous jazz. Anyone can have the job, and this current geopolitical climate shouldn't actually cause racism that is actually found in your text. The idea that it isn't OK for a latino person to work there because it is a low class job is rude and shows a limiting factor in your mind, that of which being that you associate it with bad things immediately. Think about it; if you saw a white lady named Heather with a La La Land shirt on, you wouldn't think it is racist because you believe that a white person can be a worker there, but your mind immediately assumes a convex of victimization; the thought that anyone who is of a certain race is already in a bad place, and you desperately try and avoid that reality in your mind by assuming that anyone of another culture (wearing sombrero) or race was discriminated against. This victimization, as shown in a study from cambridge university (https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...onal-studies/D19F6FF322C98C9D5646EF409D87D143) shows the dangers of this perspective. So next time, don't assume that because someone of another culture and race is working somewhere, that it is racist. --Error

Error

May 27, 2018
Also, think of how many "starbucks girls" and semi-fast food people who are white are made fun of. I am pretty sure I have even heard white girls made fun of for liking taco bell, as I live in texas.

Error

May 27, 2018
Yes they do! Even I do to be fair, nobody goes to taco bell in Texas that is ridiculous. There are so many better places to go what idiot goes to taco bell! Anyway, that's beside the point.

jazz450

jazz450
jazz450
Nov 25, 2016
houston, texas
Yes they do! Even I do to be fair, nobody goes to taco bell in Texas that is ridiculous. There are so many better places to go what idiot goes to taco bell! Anyway, that's beside the point.
I agree, have you seen all of those health cases against Taco Bell? LOL

Error

May 27, 2018
Seriously though if you are in Austin or Houston and you go to Taco Bell and you have been there more then 6 months, you're ridiculous.

Reactions: jazz450

Error

May 27, 2018
I went down to the Watermelon Thump in Laredo last week and there was a confederate flag flying in the middle of the celebration area... Something tells me tacos aren't that big there.

Error

May 27, 2018
My Dad has a worrying level of cavalierness when relating to the Confederacy... He has like 3 confederate flag stickers on his toolbox and he said that it was absolutely fine that a confederate flag would be flying there... I was worried to talk about it there because any place with a confederate flag must have at least some sympathizers, but I still called out the ridiculousness of having it flying many times.

jazz450

jazz450
jazz450
Nov 25, 2016
houston, texas
That is ridiculous jazz. Anyone can have the job, and this current geopolitical climate shouldn't actually cause racism that is actually found in your text. The idea that it isn't OK for a latino person to work there because it is a low class job is rude and shows a limiting factor in your mind, that of which being that you associate it with bad things immediately. Think about it; if you saw a white lady named Heather with a La La Land shirt on, you wouldn't think it is racist because you believe that a white person can be a worker there, but your mind immediately assumes a convex of victimization; the thought that anyone who is of a certain race is already in a bad place, and you desperately try and avoid that reality in your mind by assuming that anyone of another culture (wearing sombrero) or race was discriminated against. This victimization, as shown in a study from cambridge university (https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...onal-studies/D19F6FF322C98C9D5646EF409D87D143) shows the dangers of this perspective. So next time, don't assume that because someone of another culture and race is working somewhere, that it is racist. --Error
Back on topic, I just wanted to say that it IS okay for a Latino person to work in a McDonalds. I just think the fact that he’s wearing his traditional clothing makes the situation more worse and more likely misinterpret. Keep in mind that this is the next generation that we’re raising and rising along with, we have to treat it carefully so we don’t make the same mistakes that are happening right now.

Error

May 27, 2018
I think I went to In N Out once, but it was in California. Where we live it is all Whataburger.

Reactions: jazz450

Error

May 27, 2018
I understand your point jazz, but the thought of something that is a cultural standpoint such as the Sombrero to be demonized as racist is depressing to say the least Jazz.