andrewandy

New Member
Verified
andrewandy
andrewandy
Citizen
Nov 25, 2017
21
20
3
15
Hong Kong
#1
In my opinion, Mccities has been having some lag issues (not the server being down, that is a different issue) when large amount of players are on and that it's been going on for a long time (players tping, chat messages take ages to send and commands not responding). My suggestion does have its drawbacks but, here it is anyway. (I went around asking people but apprently people don't think its laggy which makes this thread seem quite irrelevant but here me out)

The new setup would involve 3 servers instances. 1: The Bungeecoord instance, 2: The main server, 3: Creative (and maybe events etc) but they would be running on the same VPS (Virtual Private Server) or the same hardware.

This brings major benefits but also has some drawbacks. Allow me to name the benefits first.

The first major benefit is that the server threads are now split into 2 main threads instead from 1 (well bungeecoord didn't exist in this setup so that thread technically doesn't count). This should boost the overall Server TPS substantially as Minecraft cannot effectively utilise 1 thread. Loading chunks and networking can technically be split into seperate threads but even then, there is no use using a 4 core server but having 1 thread do 75% of the work and the other 3 do 25%. Moving creative out of the main server thread would free up that thread and core's resources and it can fully "foucus" on the main server.

This setup would effectively split the threads into 3, where networking take up one, Main server takes one, Creative (and maybe events) takes one and the final thread can be used by the remaining cpu resources. This would better utilise the hardware. This would in turn, allow for more features to be added in as there is now less lag and more cpu resources to use.

The second benefit would be the ability to keep exp when traveling between creative and the main server. As the servers are now seperated, player will not lose exp when traveling between servers as opposed to when they travel between worlds in the current setup. This would be quite useful.

There are some drawbacks as I said.

Firstly, world editing creative creation will be a much larger hassle (but possible) by using schematics. Using a common schematics folder for both servers, since they are shared, each server can access schematics from the other server therefore making world edit a viable option.

A second drawback is that this increased ram useage. As there are now 3 server instances running and creative would mostly be empty (unless it is used in conjunction with lets say events or other new features).

A final drawback is the cross server communication. Although possible, it is still a cumbersome process for both plugins and the chat to be cross linked the 2 server instances through bungeecoord. This would require some modification of how the chat will work but again, it is very possible.

I know this idea is far fetched and I have put forward this idea before a few months (actually almost a year back). Now that I have more experience and research, I would like to come back and pitch this idea for a second time. Hopefully with better results.
 
Last edited:
Likes: ItzJazzMade

ItzJazzMade

Well-Known Member
Verified
MadRhapsody
MadRhapsody
Citizen
Oct 14, 2017
1,763
3,901
113
28
Google maps
#2
@Coban is the developer for this server. I suggest you contact him on discord mayion#7026 and talk some more details.

This kind of is an assumption but you look like you have some good plugin knowledge and Coban is looking for some devlopers to help him improve this server.

So I suggest you hit him up some time idk.
Btw. Lagg is actually an issue. Server crashing too.
 

andrewandy

New Member
Verified
andrewandy
andrewandy
Citizen
Nov 25, 2017
21
20
3
15
Hong Kong
#3
@Coban is the developer for this server. I suggest you contact him on discord mayion#7026 and talk some more details.

This kind of is an assumption but you look like you have some good plugin knowledge and Coban is looking for some devlopers to help him improve this server.

So I suggest you hit him up some time idk.
Btw. Lagg is actually an issue. Server crashing too.
Will do,

But the actual server crashing, to my knowledge is NOT related to the server itself but the hosting provider having internal networking issues.
 
Likes: ItzJazzMade