A Solution to the Real Estate Problem

Neilio_Xtreme

Neilio_Xtreme
Neilio_Xtreme
Oct 10, 2017
For months I've been hearing about how prices for plots keep getting inflated. I too have seen it, a plot starting at a reasonable price get bought and resold over and over until it's selling for way more than it should be. If the problem was limited to a few plots the solution would be simple, and would work itself out by way of competition from other plots. Then why do plot prices keep raising up and up, one might ask? If a plot's price is inflated, shouldn't competition force the price down? Oddly enough no, at least not in this server's case.

In my opinion, the problem is with circulation. A popular way to make money is to buy a plot, then turn around and resell the same plot for more. It's easy. If you've got the money to sit on it, profit will come eventually for minimal effort. Profit margins are boosted by a crazy amount if you're able to keep track of when inactive plots go up for sale, as their original prices are stupid low compared to the market average at the moment. This cycle of inflation is quite concerning in the long run for two reasons:

1. If left unchecked, there's really no way to stop it. Sure more plots could be regioned, in an attempt to increase supply in accordance to this fabricated "demand." But that just adds more currency to barter with in the case of the real estate agent. It's not a problem that works itself out organically because there's still a demand for plots/houses from the steady stream of incoming players. If the gap widens too much, it might discourage new players from playing and lose them. Sure not everyone is dying to get their own place, but it's definitely one of the key aspects of the server in my opinion. Now this isn't just an economics issue, but a server health issue in a way.

2. Economically speaking, it kind of contradicts an ideal environment. Ideally, a rough formula for making money in an ideal game situation is Skill x Time = Profit. The more skill you add or the more time you put in is rewarded proportionally. There's also consideration for creativity, as that is often times a separate factor from Skill. Before anyone says it, I fully realize that real life doesn't always work this way. Problem is, the concept of "having money makes money" isn't an ideal game mechanic. Because using wealth/awareness of inactivity to buy property in order to turn around sell it doesn't add anything to the environment. Whereas someone running a shop adds items people need, nothing is gained here. Playing the property game isn't as much productive as it is a form of playing the system.

Both of these reasons would indicate that the issue is with the system. But how do you fix it, you might ask. Simple. There needs to be equilibrium. Something to counter the inflation. The problem is with hoarding. A few players owning massive amounts of plots, all doing to the same practice. Or even with players who don't own that many plots but still drive prices up. But their impact is a little more negligible. Here's the solution: Property taxes in a bracket-like system.

Basically, the more properties you own the more tax you pay per property. A rough visualization would be:
1-3 plots: Low tax or No Tax
3-8 plots: Medium tax
8-20 plots: High Tax
20+: Highest Tax

This adds a tangible incentive to sell. This works to balance the environment, shifting the almost-monopoly of power from the sellers to a more even distribution between buyers and sellers. How exactly? Glad you asked!

By adding a bracketed property tax, now those who play the property game get burned after a while if their plots aren't selling. Oh man, you mean you're punishing people for owning plots? No, that's not what this is. It's adding a counter force in proportion the the inflation. By hoarding and raising plot prices (fueling the problem) one eventually has to consider how much money they're being taxed for in relation to the profits they were hoping for. Basically is the tax for sitting on certain plots worth the inflation that you the seller are trying to profit from.

Then the property gamer has to decide to accept a lower profit margin, or even a loss in profit by selling for lower than what they bought for. While that thought may be uncomfortable for some, it is both more realistic and contributes to an ideal game environment, where time, skill, and creativity are rewarded as opposed to working the system.

A drop in prices makes plots more accessible to newer players, given they do enough work and make enough money. Now adding this tax wouldn't send prices plummeting down. Making money via real estate would still be a viable and prominent option, perhaps still the best as it is now. However it adds a bit more risk and balance, which is something present in every real estate market irl. Those who are rich can take the tax, comfortable in knowing they have the money for it.

In summary, an ascending bracketed tax would stimulate circulation, cut down on inflation, and help equilibrate a lop-sided environment.

Questions, comments, further explanation desired? With more time and a group counsel a more detailed plan could be worked up, this is all just a rough idea. Part of my studies include economics, so these types of things are right up my alley.

T

Trump15024

For months I've been hearing about how prices for plots keep getting inflated. I too have seen it, a plot starting at a reasonable price get bought and resold over and over until it's selling for way more than it should be. If the problem was limited to a few plots the solution would be simple, and would work itself out by way of competition from other plots. Then why do plot prices keep raising up and up, one might ask? If a plot's price is inflated, shouldn't competition force the price down? Oddly enough no, at least not in this server's case.

In my opinion, the problem is with circulation. A popular way to make money is to buy a plot, then turn around and resell the same plot for more. It's easy. If you've got the money to sit on it, profit will come eventually for minimal effort. Profit margins are boosted by a crazy amount if you're able to keep track of when inactive plots go up for sale, as their original prices are stupid low compared to the market average at the moment. This cycle of inflation is quite concerning in the long run for two reasons:

1. If left unchecked, there's really no way to stop it. Sure more plots could be regioned, in an attempt to increase supply in accordance to this fabricated "demand." But that just adds more currency to barter with in the case of the real estate agent. It's not a problem that works itself out organically because there's still a demand for plots/houses from the steady stream of incoming players. If the gap widens too much, it might discourage new players from playing and lose them. Sure not everyone is dying to get their own place, but it's definitely one of the key aspects of the server in my opinion. Now this isn't just an economics issue, but a server health issue in a way.

2. Economically speaking, it kind of contradicts an ideal environment. Ideally, a rough formula for making money in an ideal game situation is Skill x Time = Profit. The more skill you add or the more time you put in is rewarded proportionally. There's also consideration for creativity, as that is often times a separate factor from Skill. Before anyone says it, I fully realize that real life doesn't always work this way. Problem is, the concept of "having money makes money" isn't an ideal game mechanic. Because using wealth/awareness of inactivity to buy property in order to turn around sell it doesn't add anything to the environment. Whereas someone running a shop adds items people need, nothing is gained here. Playing the property game isn't as much productive as it is a form of playing the system.

Both of these reasons would indicate that the issue is with the system. But how do you fix it, you might ask. Simple. There needs to be equilibrium. Something to counter the inflation. The problem is with hoarding. A few players owning massive amounts of plots, all doing to the same practice. Or even with players who don't own that many plots but still drive prices up. But their impact is a little more negligible. Here's the solution: Property taxes in a bracket-like system.

Basically, the more properties you own the more tax you pay per property. A rough visualization would be:

This adds a tangible incentive to sell. This works to balance the environment, shifting the almost-monopoly of power from the sellers to a more even distribution between buyers and sellers. How exactly? Glad you asked!

By adding a bracketed property tax, now those who play the property game get burned after a while if their plots aren't selling. Oh man, you mean you're punishing people for owning plots? No, that's not what this is. It's adding a counter force in proportion the the inflation. By hoarding and raising plot prices (fueling the problem) one eventually has to consider how much money they're being taxed for in relation to the profits they were hoping for. Basically is the tax for sitting on certain plots worth the inflation that you the seller are trying to profit from.

Then the property gamer has to decide to accept a lower profit margin, or even a loss in profit by selling for lower than what they bought for. While that thought may be uncomfortable for some, it is both more realistic and contributes to an ideal game environment, where time, skill, and creativity are rewarded as opposed to working the system.

A drop in prices makes plots more accessible to newer players, given they do enough work and make enough money. Now adding this tax wouldn't send prices plummeting down. Making money via real estate would still be a viable and prominent option, perhaps still the best as it is now. However it adds a bit more risk and balance, which is something present in every real estate market irl. Those who are rich can take the tax, comfortable in knowing they have the money for it.

In summary, an ascending bracketed tax would stimulate circulation, cut down on inflation, and help equilibrate a lop-sided environment.

Questions, comments, further explanation desired? With more time and a group counsel a more detailed plan could be worked up, this is all just a rough idea. Part of my studies include economics, so these types of things are right up my alley.
I like this idea. I can work with you in game since I own a company and since you are in the Runnerboro government we can work on a detailed plan including some ideas for Runnerboro once we redo most of the island.

Jabu

MisterColin
MisterColin
Dec 22, 2016
Canada

Agreed. This could also help stable the economy back to normal.

T

Trump15024

I don’t think the economy is like going to crash anytime soon but we can take small steps and develop plans one step at a time to move the economy back in a better place slowly but efficiently.

Jabu

MisterColin
MisterColin
Dec 22, 2016
Canada
I don’t think the economy is like going to crash anytime soon but we can take small steps and develop plans one step at a time to move the economy back in a better place slowly but efficiently.
Hate to burst your plan but going slowly would take years to get it back to normal. Plot prices are x3+ what they used to be.

Reactions: Powerfull
T

Trump15024

Hate to burst your plan but going slowly would take years to get it back to normal. Plot prices are x3+ what they used to be.
Well we could go fast and going fast we are likely going to make mistakes in detailed plans. The plan would have to stop inflation in its tracks and then move toward putting the economy back to its original state. First though there has to be a plan to stop the inflation.

Death

Mar 18, 2017

I have another solution that may help or may not but, it requires either the cooperation of one player or the staff team. Tho it would be temporary. Tho about the tax, a player like me who exceeds the plot limit will likely pay taxes in high taxed, if i split the properties among different alternate accounts thenI would pay less or the same. And what if a player dosent have any money they leave their balance at 0, what happens to their plots since their plot cant just automatically be taken. If taxes were to work then the server would count the plots of each player then take it from the players balance but what if the player stores it in bank or stores it in gang balance. The server cant extract money from the person and a plot cant just be taken since some are worth more than the other. Besides this a staff member would need to manage something like this. There use to be taxes which took 5% of your bal each month but, I think the property tax would be good except players who exceed the limit like me would find other ways to evade it.

Jabu

MisterColin
MisterColin
Dec 22, 2016
Canada
I have another solution that may help or may not but, it requires either the cooperation of one player or the staff team. Tho it would be temporary. Tho about the tax, a player like me who exceeds the plot limit will likely pay taxes in high taxed, if i split the properties among different alternate accounts thenI would pay less or the same. And what if a player dosent have any money they leave their balance at 0, what happens to their plots since their plot cant just automatically be taken. If taxes were to work then the server would count the plots of each player then take it from the players balance but what if the player stores it in bank or stores it in gang balance. The server cant extract money from the person and a plot cant just be taken since some are worth more than the other. Besides this a staff member would need to manage something like this. There use to be taxes which took 5% of your bal each month but, I think the property tax would be good except players who exceed the limit like me would find other ways to evade it.
Have taxes set for each plot. So regardless of what account a certain plot is on, the player would still have to pay the same amount.

Death

Mar 18, 2017
Have taxes set for each plot. So regardless of what account a certain plot is on, the player would still have to pay the same amount.
Hmm seems fair, so a would it be a set amount per plot or depends on size because it would be too hard to set a tax for each and every plot in mccities

Neilio_Xtreme

Neilio_Xtreme
Neilio_Xtreme
Oct 10, 2017
Good points @Death_Inferno360 , that's exactly the reason to open up this discussion.

Taxes could be subtracted from a bank account. If you have enough money to buy a bunch of plots, there should be enough in your bank account to handle taxes lol.

As far as evading with alts, fine. Everyone is going to try to play systems in their own way, but spreading a few plots to each alt, as well as keeping their bank accounts full enough, will take time and effort. Maybe a solution to the issue would be No tax on 1 plot, but then Low Tax on 2-3 plots.

My idea is that if taxes fail to be paid, plots get sold for their original price in order to reclaim taxes, starting from the cheapest plot. While this also adds to circulation, it's a scenario that more than likely won't come up much or if it does, it will probably be due to inactivity

Neilio_Xtreme

Neilio_Xtreme
Neilio_Xtreme
Oct 10, 2017
And yeah, taxes per specific plot would be too much to ask. Coding-wise it could just key off of total plots owned. If>then type stuff.

T

Trump15024

My Plan Solution to counter inflation

What I have seen so far is that one large problem is people buying and re-selling plots for too high prices. So I have a solution to control a large part of this inflation.

This would be in a form of a new command using the Area Shop plugin. I am not sure if @nibble could do this but it's an idea that won't take too much time or resources. The command would be /as history (plot) so before you buy a plot you can see how much that plot was sold for in the past for example if plot X was being sold for 1 million but you do /as history and the plot sold just a week ago for 400k you know that this is a bad deal and will only hurt you and the economy.

My plan on Taxes

So there have been suggestions of taxes on plots. I do think this is a good idea and like @Neilio_Xtreme had in his post there could be tax brackets.

So here is how the tax system would work:

If you are in the 1-3 plot bracket you would not be taxed due to you only having a few plots and mostly new players have this amount.

3-8 plot tax bracket you would be taxed 0.40% of the amount in your bank or your balance and this could be taken out automatically or you can, for example, pay the minister of plots. For example, if you had $250,000 on a 0.40% tax you would be paying $1000 in taxes which you could split weekly or pay in full monthly.

The 8-20 tax bracket you would be taxed on a 0.70% tax meaning that if you had $500,000 in your bank or balance then you would be paying $3500.

The 20+ tax bracket you would be on a 1% tax so if you had $750,000 then you would be paying $7500 or if you had 1m you would be paying $10,000.

Then after people are paying their taxes and inflation goes down then these taxes can gradually go down but these tax rates mostly target people who “hoard” plots.

This is a idea based on facts and a reasonable thesis.

ItzJazzMade

Former Staff
Verified
Empty_exe
Empty_exe
Oct 14, 2017
Google maps
Maybe do that you have to pay the sign on your plot just like the insurence for the bank.
If you havn't paid your taxes you would not be able to build on your plot or you cant resell it. It would build up your tax with a max amount of cost (depends on tax cost). The tax for a plot would always be a set price for each plot.

Afcourse I get that newbie's cant pay much monney. But they actually can. It would be something like say... 200$ a week for each plot. Active players can pay that easily.

There could even be an option if this is possible to be like the higher your ar time the higher your price bit that woild not be needed really.

Welp jist an idea maybe somebody have plans to perfectionise this xd

T

Trump15024

Maybe do that you have to pay the sign on your plot just like the insurence for the bank.
If you havn't paid your taxes you would not be able to build on your plot or you cant resell it. It would build up your tax with a max amount of cost (depends on tax cost). The tax for a plot would always be a set price for each plot.

Afcourse I get that newbie's cant pay much monney. But they actually can. It would be something like say... 200$ a week for each plot. Active players can pay that easily.

There could even be an option if this is possible to be like the higher your ar time the higher your price bit that woild not be needed really.

Welp jist an idea maybe somebody have plans to perfectionise this xd
Read my plan above it has specific tax brackets.

Neilio_Xtreme

Neilio_Xtreme
Neilio_Xtreme
Oct 10, 2017
My Plan Solution to counter inflation

What I have seen so far is that one large problem is people buying and re-selling plots for too high prices. So I have a solution to control a large part of this inflation.

This would be in a form of a new command using the Area Shop plugin. I am not sure if @nibble could do this but it's an idea that won't take too much time or resources. The command would be /as history (plot) so before you buy a plot you can see how much that plot was sold for in the past for example if plot X was being sold for 1 million but you do /as history and the plot sold just a week ago for 400k you know that this is a bad deal and will only hurt you and the economy.

My plan on Taxes

So there have been suggestions of taxes on plots. I do think this is a good idea and like @Neilio_Xtreme had in his post there could be tax brackets.

So here is how the tax system would work:

If you are in the 1-3 plot bracket you would not be taxed due to you only having a few plots and mostly new players have this amount.

3-8 plot tax bracket you would be taxed 0.40% of the amount in your bank or your balance and this could be taken out automatically or you can, for example, pay the minister of plots. For example, if you had $250,000 on a 0.40% tax you would be paying $1000 in taxes which you could split weekly or pay in full monthly.

The 8-20 tax bracket you would be taxed on a 0.70% tax meaning that if you had $500,000 in your bank or balance then you would be paying $3500.

The 20+ tax bracket you would be on a 1% tax so if you had $750,000 then you would be paying $7500 or if you had 1m you would be paying $10,000.

Then after people are paying their taxes and inflation goes down then these taxes can gradually go down but these tax rates mostly target people who “hoard” plots.

This is a idea based on facts and a reasonable thesis.

A few things with your tweak to my plan: An /as history would be nice. I'm definitely all for that as a cherry on top. But even if people can see how much it used to be, if there are no other better options on the market they're still forced to pick what they can. Again it'd be good to have, but ultimately won't affect the situation as a whole as much as the taxes themselves.

And as far as the percent of balance goes, it'd be too easy to "launder" money out of an account and into something else, like an alt or a gang balance. The only concrete thing that's trackable here is the number of plots. So it'd be best to have a flat weekly tax per plot, represented by x, and to change the formula as you move up in the brackets. Low: 1x. Medium: 1.5x. High: 2x. Highest: 2.5x. etc.

Reactions: Trump15024

Shadow_stalker77

Jul 14, 2017
When a lot of players can afford to have 10 plots, a small fee won't make them bankrupt or cause incentive to sell. If you simply play on the server, you get paychecks every ten or so minutes. If you play for just an hour every day and get $250 every paycheck, that would be $10,500 a week. If taxes are around that much, that wouldn't even dent the fortune that some players have.

Honestly, the only way I see the economy improving would be if everyone sold their houses for cheap, fair prices. Of course, that will never happen because the whole point of this server is to earn money.

Everyone complains that "plots are so expensive!" but those are the same people who buy 10x10 plots for $100,000. If players refuse to buy expensive houses, the seller will have no choice but to keep it or lower the price, only one of which benefits the seller financially.

Reactions: Jabu and sundae22

Death

Mar 18, 2017
When a lot of players can afford to have 10 plots, a small fee won't make them bankrupt or cause incentive to sell. If you simply play on the server, you get paychecks every ten or so minutes. If you play for just an hour every day and get $250 every paycheck, that would be $10,500 a week. If taxes are around that much, that wouldn't even dent the fortune that some players have.

Honestly, the only way I see the economy improving would be if everyone sold their houses for cheap, fair prices. Of course, that will never happen because the whole point of this server is to earn money.

Everyone complains that "plots are so expensive!" but those are the same people who buy 10x10 plots for $100,000. If players refuse to buy expensive houses, the seller will have no choice but to keep it or lower the price, only one of which benefits the seller financially.
I have to agree with this at some point because in real life inflation really goes up and you need to cope with it. For example a car could cost around $35,000 when you buy it at first but later on the company can sell the same type of car for $50,000 due to inflation. Every year taxes are increased I believe which makes prices of most of the things a person buys increase. Honestly 10k will make no dent on me. A player can earn over 10k in less than an hour. So even if I had 40 plots, im not sure how many I have right now, I think its 30+ for sure but even if I did have to pay 20k a week it wont do much difference. Well sure it would slow me down but it wont do much to me, I guess it will slowly kill the inactive players but, this wont do much. Players literally are open to selling plots, I believe yesterday I saw this house called Bludmansion-2 on bunny, it was really nice selling for 250k before someone griefed it a bit. It had a ocean view was fairly ok around 20x30 Im not sure with the size but it had 2 floors. I would say the price for it was fair, there are actual good and fair priced plots that are selling, people just refuse to even look and just get intimidated looking at the prices.

TheDiamondTiger

Cyber Bullied
Maggot
Feb 19, 2017
Diamond Cave, Quartz Forest, Kepler 186f
This would do very little to help; those who have many plots typically have a lot of money to go on along with it, making this an almost negligent idea. This would punish those with little money and many plots, but that is fairly rare. Also this could affect newcomers negatively and create a spam in bug reports for those who don't bother to read updates.

Death

Mar 18, 2017
This would do very little to help; those who have many plots typically have a lot of money to go on along with it, making this an almost negligent idea. This would punish those with little money and many plots, but that is fairly rare. Also this could affect newcomers negatively and create a spam in bug reports for those who don't bother to read updates.
Omg tiger actually came on. Thats true it wont affect the richer players as they have money to cover up for expenses needed