LavaFlake

Verified
LavaFlake
LavaFlake
Millionaire
May 22, 2017
A Volcano
Hey everyone,

I recently realized that staff members with the rank T-Mod and above are able to read our private messages or /msg, first off I would like to explain how weird it is knowing that staff can read everything you say, I don't know if its just me but I would like if this feature is removed because it's kind of an invasion of privacy, and I other the other servers I play on don't have this feature. Plus this would allow people to speak freely and don't have to worry about staff being able to see what they're sending. Also part of this is because a lot of secrets and deep things are sent through those messages and im pretty sure people don't like the fact that staff can read that.

Anyways this is just me let me know what you guys think, Thanks :)

Reactions: Laurel

Tricoh

Tricoh
Tricoh
Jan 21, 2017
Florida
osu.ppy.sh
Hey everyone,

I recently realized that staff members with the rank T-Mod and above are able to read our private messages or /msg, first off I would like to explain how weird it is knowing that staff can read everything you say, I don't know if its just me but I would like if this feature is removed because it's kind of an invasion of privacy, and I other the other servers I play on don't have this feature. Plus this would allow people to speak freely and don't have to worry about staff being able to see what they're sending. Also part of this is because a lot of secrets and deep things are sent through those messages and im pretty sure people don't like the fact that staff can read that.

I'm pretty sure the staff want to know what you're saying because you could be telling ips, phone numbers, and stuff like that....

Powerfull

Former Staff
Verified
Powerfull
Powerfull
Citizen
Mar 22, 2017
Ok, this is what I believe-

While I recognize this point of view, like Coban and Nibble have said, they have no intention of finding out frigate info. In this day and age, anyone can figure out anything about you. When they look thru chat logs, they do it with a single purpose, like finding if someone paid someone else. I don't believe they would go thru and try to find phone numbers, and whatnot, but this is just what I believe, maybe if u get a statement from nibble or Coban it would help!

Reactions: Laurel

LavaFlake

Verified
LavaFlake
LavaFlake
Millionaire
May 22, 2017
A Volcano
I'm pretty sure the staff want to know what you're saying because you could be telling ips, phone numbers, and stuff like that....
Even if thats whats happening i dont believe they should have access to our private messages

Auryy

Former Staff
Aug 23, 2017
The reasoning staff have access to social spy (ability to view users messages while online) is to help moderate the server. Misuse of the ability will result in punishment and this is why when going through application, Coban and Kiri chose those that they only trust will use the commands properly. Half the time the staff aren't looking at personal messages and actually reading them. They look out for key words that indicate the user is saying something against the rules, such as sharing IPs, and unnecessary spam.

If you notice that any staff member is misusing this ability, please report it directly to Kiri or Coban.

If you have any other questions or concerns about this topic, please feel free to contact Izzie or myself! :)

Cheers,
Aury

Last edited:

LavaFlake

Verified
LavaFlake
LavaFlake
Millionaire
May 22, 2017
A Volcano
The reasoning staff have access to social spy (ability to view users messages while online) is to help moderate the server. Misuse of the ability will result in punishment and this is why when going through application, Coban and Kiri chose those that they only trust will use the commands properly. Half the time the staff aren't looking at personal messages and actually reading them. They look out for key words that indicate the user is saying something against the rules, such as sharing IPs, and unnecessary spam.

If you notice that any staff member is misusing this ability, please report it directly to Kiri or Coban.

If you have any other questions or concerns about this topic, please feel free to contact Izzie or myself! :)

Cheers,
Aury
Actually 3 times I have had staff talk to me about something i said in my messages and it wasn't about anything against the rules they just joined in on the convo me and my friend were having, of course, i say who they were because they are wonderful people, but I would appreciate it if we had some privacy as its very bothering knowing that there is always someone reading your messages.

Auryy

Former Staff
Aug 23, 2017
Actually 3 times I have had staff talk to me about something i said in my messages and it wasn't about anything against the rules they just joined in on the convo me and my friend were having, of course, i say who they were because they are wonderful people, but I would appreciate it if we had some privacy as its very bothering knowing that there is always someone reading your messages.
I understand how that can be frustrating. If you get messages that are actually contributing to the conversation, please screenshot them and then tell the staff member that your conversation with the other user is private. If it's a verbal warning and a staff member asking you to calm down if you're spamming or using excessive caps / characters or even just making sure it's alright to be obnoxious in PMs then they're just doing their job and you can tell them that it's alright with both users (the spam, caps, etc) in the conversation.

Reactions: LavaFlake

LavaFlake

Verified
LavaFlake
LavaFlake
Millionaire
May 22, 2017
A Volcano
I understand how that can be frustrating. If you get messages that are actually contributing to the conversation, please screenshot them and then tell the staff member that your conversation with the other user is private. If it's a verbal warning and a staff member asking you to calm down if you're spamming or using excessive caps / characters or even just making sure it's alright to be obnoxious in PMs then they're just doing their job and you can tell them that it's alright with both users (the spam, caps, etc) in the conversation.
it wasn't like that it was just a normal convo, anyways thanks

Reactions: Auryy

LavaFlake

Verified
LavaFlake
LavaFlake
Millionaire
May 22, 2017
A Volcano
In the end, do you really think caps, spam etc. are more important than player privacy?

Auryy

Former Staff
Aug 23, 2017
In the end, do you really think caps, spam etc. are more important than player privacy?
As I mentioned before, staff members are not reading the actual messages, they're looking out for keywords. Your conversations are still private and if you feel like they're not then take it up with nibble or Coban.

Reactions: Powerfull

Turkey

Former Staff
PurpleTurkey
PurpleTurkey
Mar 22, 2017
4 Privet Drive
Thatts really creppy how staff know where I live,
... my friend was making a server and when I joined in it said my exact location in the world soo..... Minecraft servers can track people.......
Pretty much any website can as well lol. That's why cyber security is so important.

Reactions: Powerfull
Hey everyone,

'Mod' means moderator, that means moderators moderate chat to see nothing inappropriate is going on...
I prefer that they can see messages