City, Apartments, Sprawl - 3rd edition

virek

May 29, 2017
I noticed there has been an ownership change and staff have been extremely active lately. As a result, I'm going to give this one final shot. You can read previous ideas/posts related to this here and here. However, I will keep this post short and sweet.

The ideas attack several issues:
  1. More city density, less sprawl (having high sprawl of the city decreases roleplaying elements of this server, meaning we need LESS geographic space and more player density. More open PVP, police/crime battles, etc. Quality should be the focus to support roleplay, as that's the server's purpose). I know people love building too, but that focus should be on doing really high-quality work and not just creating more space between players.
  2. Creates a needed money sink for wealthy players
  3. Amazing, welcoming apartments for new players
    1. If amazing enough, you'll even find that vetern players would want to rent some of these properties themselves. Amazing Penthouse suites anyone?
Recommended long-term activities.
  • Return Apartment Regions to High-density areas only, such as cayman city
    • Charge an exorbitant fee for regions, such as at least 10k per apartment region, or base it on the size of the region. Make it expensive.
      • This creates a money sink and will decrease the workload for staff, and make apartment ownership an end-game activity.
    • Have extremely high expectations for apartment size, luxury, and building benefits such as swimming pools, restaurants, and shops in the building.
  • Stop apartment region on islands
    • Why would we sprawl out from main cities? This should mostly be private/suburbs... We don't have the player base to support this many high-density areas like this. Island owners are probably against this. But it doesn't make a lot of sense. It amplifies the problem that is city sprawl.
  • Aggressively de-region sub-par apartments (fairly).
    • Private citizens can participate, I've personally been doing this myself with my own money at a loss.
    • Administration can participate (e.g. when a region falls under the nibble account, regions can be reviewed before put back on the market and removed if they don't meet the standard).
  • Re-region some of the unregioned areas in cayman and put them on the market.
This is a long term effort. I believe this server will benefit long-term by Identifying 1 or 2 "High Density" downtown areas that are the only places apartment living takes place. These would be hotspots for PVP, crime, police, and other roleplay elements. The rest should be low-density suburbs and mansions (along with neighborhood benefits you'd find like farms, libraries, fire stations, shops, etc). Owners of apartments should have to *spend* to participate. This will motivate them to focus on quality as they don't want to spend 10k+ per region on a tiny apartment or crappy building. Remove profit from the equation (going as far to even remove landlord income completely) and all of the financial motivation to squeeze as many regions into a build as possible. You'll see a quality increase with those rules.

Dense, high-quality areas of living for new players where they can see other players playing this game. You'll see it eventually: people will come, and they will stay.

That is all,

@JustYourTypical @Trump15024

T

Trump15024

I noticed there has been an ownership change and staff have been extremely active lately. As a result, I'm going to give this one final shot. You can read previous ideas/posts related to this here and here. However, I will keep this post short and sweet.

The ideas attack several issues:
  1. More city density, less sprawl (having high sprawl of the city decreases roleplaying elements of this server, meaning we need LESS geographic space and more player density. More open PVP, police/crime battles, etc. Quality should be the focus to support roleplay, as that's the server's purpose). I know people love building too, but that focus should be on doing really high-quality work and not just creating more space between players.
  2. Creates a needed money sink for wealthy players
  3. Amazing, welcoming apartments for new players
    1. If amazing enough, you'll even find that vetern players would want to rent some of these properties themselves. Amazing Penthouse suites anyone?
Recommended long-term activities.
  • Return Apartment Regions to High-density areas only, such as cayman city
    • Charge an exorbitant fee for regions, such as at least 10k per apartment region, or base it on the size of the region. Make it expensive.
      • This creates a money sink and will decrease the workload for staff, and make apartment ownership an end-game activity.
    • Have extremely high expectations for apartment size, luxury, and building benefits such as swimming pools, restaurants, and shops in the building.
  • Stop apartment region on islands
    • Why would we sprawl out from main cities? This should mostly be private/suburbs... We don't have the player base to support this many high-density areas like this. Island owners are probably against this. But it doesn't make a lot of sense. It amplifies the problem that is city sprawl.
  • Aggressively de-region sub-par apartments (fairly).
    • Private citizens can participate, I've personally been doing this myself with my own money at a loss.
    • Administration can participate (e.g. when a region falls under the nibble account, regions can be reviewed before put back on the market and removed if they don't meet the standard).
  • Re-region some of the unregioned areas in cayman and put them on the market.
This is a long term effort. I believe this server will benefit long-term by Identifying 1 or 2 "High Density" downtown areas that are the only places apartment living takes place. These would be hotspots for PVP, crime, police, and other roleplay elements. The rest should be low-density suburbs and mansions (along with neighborhood benefits you'd find like farms, libraries, fire stations, shops, etc). Owners of apartments should have to *spend* to participate. This will motivate them to focus on quality as they don't want to spend 10k+ per region on a tiny apartment or crappy building. Remove profit from the equation (going as far to even remove landlord income completely) and all of the financial motivation to squeeze as many regions into a build as possible. You'll see a quality increase with those rules.

Dense, high-quality areas of living for new players where they can see other players playing this game. You'll see it eventually: people will come, and they will stay.

That is all,

@JustYourTypical @Trump15024
I know the staff team has been considering options on how to deal with these issues. I personally have been trying to deal with some apartment issues.

virek

May 29, 2017
Awesome to hear. hope any or all is considered. I trust the staff to make the right decisions for the long-term good of the server. Look forward to seeing the future vision.

ItzJazzMade

Former Staff
Verified
Empty_exe
Empty_exe
Oct 14, 2017
Google maps
Tbh all apartmentbuildings owned by nibble should indeed be unregioned xdddd

well I like the plan, if the server needs a way to unrent a lot of apartments quickly in a fair way (as an addition to the plan of dear Virek) just ask.me and I'll get my old plan from the basement ;)

Reactions: mabes

mabes

Former Staff
Verified
mabelqines
mabelqines
Jun 12, 2018
@virek I love hearing players opinions on what should be done, so thank you for taking the time to make this post! There are some ideas on here staff should discuss :)

Reactions: ItzJazzMade