The word Gay is censored?!

Should the gay word be censored?

• No, of course not why should it be? We are equal!

Votes: 17 68.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 8 32.0%

• Total voters

itzKourtney

Jul 17, 2017
Okay first of all what has this server come to.. Why did you censor gay but not straight? We are all equal wether we are gay or straight so why ignore one and censor it. I would like an answer to this ASAP. Also I know an answer I may get back..Which is people are using gay hatefully towards other in chat such as "your so gay" BUT NO... IT SHOULD'NT be taking hatefully because it is something to be proud about nothing to be hated on and if you think its offensive then think twice... Because you didn't blur out Straight.. Like why is "your so straight" different then "your so gay" I THINK NOT.... :cautious:

T

Trump15024

This is a tough one. But I think that it being censored cuts down on people saying you are gay or something and causing a big crazy issue. It also will allow for sensitive topics to be brought up

itzKourtney

Jul 17, 2017
Jabu yes, but... there is more then one meaning to gay too which is...
lighthearted and carefree.
"Nan had a gay disposition and a very pretty face"

Reactions: __Remy

Jabu

MisterColin
MisterColin
Dec 22, 2016
Canada
But the first thing that comes to (most) peoples mine when they hear straight is the one I stated "Oh that line is straight."
Ive never heard gay used in another way before.

Reactions: blu3skyler

Realu

Jan 22, 2017
minecraft
The thing is, your saying "IT SHOULD'NT be taking hatefully", but it does. All the time. People, constantly use Gay as an insult. Thats just the world we live in. No, Gay, or being gay, is absolutely NOT a bad thing, or offensive, and people shouldn't be pressured into feeling bad about being gay. That, you're right about. BUT, there are people who put that pressure and use the word as an insult. No matter what, calling someone gay with the intent of hurting or diminishing someone breaks the servers rules. THAT is why its offensive. THAT is why it is censored. No, it is not an act of homophobia by the staff, its censored for the same reason as everything else. I know its 2017, and SJW's get triggered by literally everything, but think about it first.

itzKourtney

Jul 17, 2017
People get triggered by everything is right!!! I agree 100% but I just don't believe it should be censored.. and if people brake the rules ban them.. I don't care just don't block a word that people use to express them selves if that makes sense.

D

Deleted member 832

The world is messed up. People can’t accept difference. It will be this way forever. But that doesn’t mean we should censor the word, I understand it’s to stop it being used as an insult, but the only people who actually use it are uneducated oiks, which there are none on mccities. I think anyone who is actually gay would realise that the person who is using that insult is probably a stupid 10 year old who’s proud that they can type a message, insulting someone, without being caught.

zombeekeeller

xzombee
xzombee
Oct 28, 2016
Earth? yeah sure lets go with that
Okay first of all what has this server come to.. Why did you censor gay but not straight? We are all equal wether we are gay or straight so why ignore one and censor it. I would like an answer to this ASAP. Also I know an answer I may get back..Which is people are using gay hatefully towards other in chat such as "your so gay" BUT NO... IT SHOULD'NT be taking hatefully because it is something to be proud about nothing to be hated on and if you think its offensive then think twice... Because you didn't blur out Straight.. Like why is "your so straight" different then "your so gay" I THINK NOT.... :cautious:

I get where you're coming from I completely agree with the equal thing and in a perfect world people wouldn't use that word in a condescending manner, but then again I can understand why the server censored it b/c it can be used hatefully, so its a tough one :(

Reactions: Tricoh

Coban

Developer
Jul 31, 2014
Let's explain it in a simple manner (Excuse the use of words, necessary to prove a point); Censoring a word does not take away its rights. Disallowing the usage of a word such as Nazi does not mean I am against Germans, but simply maintaining order on the server to avoid confliction. A Minecraft server isn't the place to go around looking for the rights of straight or gay people.

The day when I am able to go around calling people not by their names, but rather by their skin color and their sexual preference without breaking what's known as basic human decency, and without it being considered an insult, is when we will allow such word.

PS - Making fun of anyone's identity is considered harassment and is against the rules too. ~

Death

Mar 18, 2017
I understand how some people are Gay and use this to express themselves as part of their community or who they are. I think its mostly the insults which are the problem. Many kids like to use this as an insult to think of others as weak or cowardly. Its been used in many ways as insults, and we can't change the fact that people do this. I believe that everyone should be equal but, staff blocked it for a reason which is to stop bullying on the server. McCities accepts everyone from different communities but, due to the lack of proper usage of the word by one or a lot of individuals, they are forced to censor it to stop the bullying on others and those who are part of the LGBT.

Ashnxkko

Principal
Former Staff
Verified
Jul 14, 2017
The Netherlands
I am gay myself and I honestly don’t like it being censored. It’s not a bad word and if people want to say it then sure, do it. I honestly don’t care because it’s not an insult in my opinion. Another really annoying this is that I can’t say ‘I’m gay’ if someone asks me about it, but I can still use the words homosexual/lesbian which is the same and people can also use as ‘insult’.

I get why it is censored but in my opinion we should be able to say it.

Death

Mar 18, 2017
I am gay myself and I honestly don’t like it being censored. It’s not a bad word and if people want to say it then sure, do it. I honestly don’t care because it’s not an insult in my opinion. Another really annoying this is that I can’t say ‘I’m gay’ if someone asks me about it, but I can still use the words homosexual/lesbian which is the same and people can also use as ‘insult’.

I get why it is censored but in my opinion we should be able to say it.
I think the word "gay" is more commonly known to younger kids as they hear people say it more often than lesbian or homosexual. And since these kids start a bad trend of making these words into different contexts, I think staff are just trying to stop bullying from the kids that use "gay" as in a bad way on those who are part of the certain community/group. I don't think its bad in its natural context, but people use the word as a different meaning or in a bad sense which is the reason staff censored it.

Reactions: Turkey