Anti-Monopolization of Goods and Services

SirKosmo

SirKosmo
SirKosmo
Dec 22, 2017
Texas
I want to propose an act to make it a crime on the server to hold a monopoly of any good or service as deemed by the staff. This would help promote a free market and not allow any one person price gouging opportunity for the benefit of personal wealth via starvation of the market - punishable by court cases and jail time with hefty bails.

@Gjegevey @Smilinq @Trump15024 @FroztyStars

ItzJazzMade

Former Staff
Verified
Empty_exe
Empty_exe
Oct 14, 2017
Google maps
I mean so we have 2 problems here:
1. There already is a free market seeing as all items that are in the game (except collectibles) are craftable by anyone. So technically nobody has a monopoly as we are literally the definition of a free market. Anyone can produce anything.

2. When we punish players for producing a certain good in bulk then we actually limit the free market instead of helping it.

Not saying I am all pro free market. But there is a difference between real life economics and in game economics.

We are however thinking of ways to create more trade on the server. So if you have any suggestions. Let me know

Neilio_Xtreme

Neilio_Xtreme
Neilio_Xtreme
Oct 10, 2017
I mean so we have 2 problems here:
1. There already is a free market seeing as all items that are in the game (except collectibles) are craftable by anyone. So technically nobody has a monopoly as we are literally the definition of a free market. Anyone can produce anything.

2. When we punish players for producing a certain good in bulk then we actually limit the free market instead of helping it.

Not saying I am all pro free market. But there is a difference between real life economics and in game economics.

We are however thinking of ways to create more trade on the server. So if you have any suggestions. Let me know
Perfectly summarized. Those that can produce in bulk (Slimefun, scrolls, etc.) usually have that ability because they've invested their capital and time into setting up farms or systems that work efficiently or semi-automatically.
Punishing this means punishing the investment of time which is the opposite of what we want.

All within reason of course, as there's always exceptions to the rule ;)

Yaoke

Staff member
Yaoke
Yaoke
Aug 1, 2017
That would be robbing people of the time they have spent to quote on quote monopolize their sector. You may call it a monopoly, I call it an enterprise. Restricting people would in turn negatively affect the free market.

Allex

Alex_the_cool_11
Alex_the_cool_11
Feb 11, 2018
Somewhere on earth
I stand up for a free economy, so I feel like this isn't my kind of suggestion. I agree that we mostly have an economy free from monopoly. It's up to people to decide what they wanna produce or sell (as long as it complies to current server rules).

swordmandany

Dec 15, 2019
I disagree. It's a free market, people who hold more power to influence market prices deserve that power, as they have worked for it. Stop trying to punish the successful, they worked and earned their influence. Competition is what you should go for to fight it if you're really against it. Produce your own stocks to bring them competition, then exerce your own influence over them.

The rich get richer by playing smart. The poor get poorer by complaining about the rich without providing a change of their own. Be the change you want to see.;)
Cheers.

Allex

Alex_the_cool_11
Alex_the_cool_11
Feb 11, 2018
Somewhere on earth
I disagree. It's a free market, people who hold more power to influence market prices deserve that power, as they have worked for it. Stop trying to punish the successful, they worked and earned their influence. Competition is what you should go for to fight it if you're really against it. Produce your own stocks to bring them competition, then exerce your own influence over them.

The rich get richer by playing smart. The poor get poorer by complaining about the rich without providing a change of their own. Be the change you want to see.;)
Cheers.
Correct!

Neilio_Xtreme

Neilio_Xtreme
Neilio_Xtreme
Oct 10, 2017

Cheers.
Or we could just eat the rich!!

ItzJazzMade

Former Staff
Verified
Empty_exe
Empty_exe
Oct 14, 2017
Google maps
Or we could just eat the rich!!
Would have worked in the past, as the rich were often fat and being fat was even considered a sign of wealth.

Nowadays the richer the healthier people can live and poor people are stuck with junk food.
The 1% has a lot, but not meat, on their bones at least

(I took this joke way too serious o well)