For those nerds out there

Cozmicraft

Verified
cozmicraft
cozmicraft
Citizen
So, anyone here like science, knowledge or philosophy?
And does anyone know about the youtube channel Kurzgesagt-in a nutshell?
Depending on what you all think, I may transcript the videos and make quick, 5-minute bites of cool knowledge that can be bought at /library for around $300.
For those of you have never heard of Kurzgesagt, expect everything from Black Hole bombs to Egoistic Altruism.
All credits go to Kurzgesagt, none of the material is mine. Just thought it would be cool to have the videos in written form, for quick reads.

So please, do tell me what you think! I would love to make the books, but It would be kind of a waste if nobody would read them.

ItzJazzMade

Former Staff
Verified
Empty_exe
Empty_exe
Oct 14, 2017
Google maps
I don't liek kurzgesagt...
Always going over it like they k ow what is going on and science proved it. But what do we humans know about the universe?

Reactions: Minty

TheDiamondTiger

Cyber Bullied
Maggot
Feb 19, 2017
Diamond Cave, Quartz Forest, Kepler 186f
I don't liek kurzgesagt...
Always going over it like they know what is going on and science proved it. But what do we humans know about the universe?
Surprisingly a lot, but Kurzgesagt isn't the best source for information. Its an okay way to get a summary, but you should never use a single source for any piece of information, you need many. Read National Geographic, Scientific American, New York Times, etc. since not only are they renowned, they take in many different perspectives.

Death

Mar 18, 2017
Surprisingly a lot, but Kurzgesagt isn't the best source for information. Its an okay way to get a summary, but you should never use a single source for any piece of information, you need many. Read National Geographic, Scientific American, New York Times, etc. since not only are they renowned, they take in many different perspectives.
I dont always find youtube reliable, but some youtube channels for history econ and science i would recommend would be crash course

Cozmicraft

Verified
cozmicraft
cozmicraft
Citizen
Kurzgesagt is reliable. They back up their facts with scientific data, and their videos are well made and interesting. One of their quotes is, "But don't just take our word for it". They encourage you to check facts, and that, to me, is what sets them apart.

Us humans are on the shore of the cosmic ocean, but we can use our minds to find out about it. Though we are far from being omniscient, the very fact that we humble humans can start to comprehend the workings of the universe is awe-inspiring.

Certainly, Kurzgesagt does not know everything. However, the make a point in many episodes that that is indeed the case and that we are still benighted as to many parts of the universe. All they do is gather information from multiple reliable sources and make interesting videos about them, and I respect them for that.

TheDiamondTiger

Cyber Bullied
Maggot
Feb 19, 2017
Kurzgesagt is reliable. They back up their facts with scientific data, and their videos are well made and interesting. One of their quotes is, "But don't just take our word for it". They encourage you to check facts, and that, to me, is what sets them apart.

Us humans are on the shore of the cosmic ocean, but we can use our minds to find out about it. Though we are far from being omniscient, the very fact that we humble humans can start to comprehend the workings of the universe is awe-inspiring.

Certainly, Kurzgesagt does not know everything. However, the make a point in many episodes that that is indeed the case and that we are still benighted as to many parts of the universe. All they do is gather information from multiple reliable sources and make interesting videos about them, and I respect them for that.
https://www.reddit.com/r/kurzgesagt/comments/3ji3ps
This is the channel replying to questions regarding credibility.
You are missing the point entirely; they saying "don't take our word for it" doesn't add credibility, it instructs you to find multiple sources like I have listed above. They site their sources which is great, but you must remember that especially youtube videos are never infallible and often contain oversights. They are aware that you need multiple sources, and hats off to them, but being self-aware doesn't make you factually accurate.

Reactions: Minty and ramdon

Cozmicraft

Verified
cozmicraft
cozmicraft
Citizen
Well, obviously, I don't think that youtube videos are infallible, and obviously, they can be wrong. To say that I believe this is a strawman. If you want to debate like that, then go check out Reddit. Of course, you do make a good point. Self-awareness does not make factually accurate videos. And you're right, but their self-awareness is not what makes their videos factual, it's their research, scientific data, and objective view. For obvious reasons, this is not perfect, but perfection is nonexistent in our world. By reliable, I don't mean flawless.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/reliable

So am I missing the point?

TheDiamondTiger

Cyber Bullied
Maggot
Feb 19, 2017
Well, obviously, I don't think that youtube videos are infallible, and obviously, they can be wrong. To say that I believe this is a strawman. If you want to debate like that, then go check out Reddit. Of course, you do make a good point. Self-awareness does not make factually accurate videos. And you're right, but their self-awareness is not what makes their videos factual, it's their research, scientific data, and objective view. For obvious reasons, this is not perfect, but perfection is nonexistent in our world. By reliable, I don't mean flawless.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/reliable

So am I missing the point?
I said you were missing the point because you said:

"Kurzgesagt is reliable. They back up their facts with scientific data, and their videos are well made and interesting. One of their quotes is, "But don't just take our word for it". They encourage you to check facts, and that, to me, is what sets them apart."

You have a premise (blue), a reason (red), then evidence (green). I pointed out that self-awareness (the quote) isn't evidence for reliability. Now you either forgot to include evidence (an essential part of a reliable statement) or you just gave false evidence. That is why I said you are missing the point. From how you structured your response, you did miss the point.

Cozmicraft

Verified
cozmicraft
cozmicraft
Citizen
Certainly, what you have said above is a fair point. However, I feel that my response was structured more like this.
"Kurzgesagt is reliable. They back up their facts with scientific data, and their videos are well made and interesting. One of their quotes is, "But don't just take our word for it."

The evidence I gave in the post below should be sufficient to back up my claim.
https://www.reddit.com/r/kurzgesagt/comments/3ji3ps
Again, I see what you are saying. Youtube videos, even Kurgzegast, should be taken with a grain of salt, so in that sense, I do indeed agree with you. After all, in their own reply, they concluded that their videos should not be considered perfect. Please keep in mind that I said that Kurgzegast was reliable, not infallible. But because they seem to honestly attempt to be accurate, I think that they can be considered reliable, but not infallible.

But enough debating. I'm going to wait a few more days, but the way things are going, I don't think people would be very interested in the books.:(

Last edited: