~Positivity Post~

mabes

Former Staff
Verified
mabelqines
mabelqines
Jun 12, 2018
Hey everyone! According to World Record Egg on Instagram it’s National Mental Health Month! This will be an anti-toxic place to calm down. Enjoy!
Especially since final exams are extremely stressful right now it’s very important to take time for yourself. Heck, it’s important to take care of yourself always <3

Also before this starts... it sounds like I’m trying to boss you around, but keep in mind that these are only suggestions, you aren’t inclined to actually use them :>

<3 Let’s start with ways to stop crying (because we all have our moments):

• Tilt your head up slightly to prevent tears from falling.
  • Focus on controlling your breathing, take in deep breaths, hold for 5-10 second (whatever is most comfortable) and release slowly. It will slowly calm you down.
  • Close your eyes and refocus your mind. Change the subject your brain is focusing on to something lighter and give yourself time to snap back.
<3 After crying (Tips to reduce puffiness and red-eyes cause I have anxiety about that sort of thing):
  • Apply a cold compress to your eyes, it reduces swelling.
  • Splash water on your face / eyes to clear out salt (I recommend not rubbing your eyes with water, as it will irritate them and makes them more red).
  • To reduce swelling, gently tap or massage the areas around your eyes. Use two fingers, not your whole hand :D This will loosen the fluids that are causing your eyes to swell.
*Doing multiple of these trick will increase the chance of your eyes and face returning to normal, but remember to be patient, as these tricks take time and don’t work right away*

<3 How to reduce stress:

• Exercise! It can relieve mental stress, and also make you feel good about yourself! Exercise also takes a role in improving your sleep!
  • Reduce your caffeine intake. Sometimes drinking / eating too much caffeine causes anxiety, so try to avoid consuming large amounts of caffeine daily.
  • Make a list of things that you are grateful for, or vent all your struggles or problems onto a sheet of paper. This reduces anxiety and helps you calm down.
  • Chewing gum relieves stress!
  • Take a break from all stresses, and take some time to hang out with people you love and / or feel free with. Letting go for a bit can lower stress levels, and also being around people you care for increases your self-worth and sense of belonging. I personally believe it releases dopamine (the happy hormone) into your brain, causing you to overall be happier!
  • Cuddling, hugging, or other ways of being close with someone ;) can help relieve stress, as it lowers cortisol, and also lowers blood pressure and heart rate, which contributes to stress.
  • Listen to soothing music you enjoy. Music overall has a relaxing effect in the body, therefore reducing stress.
  • There are times when you need to stop doing whatever you’re doing, and take deep breaths. Close your eyes, get in a comfortable position (not sitting up against anything hard, just in position that is comfortable for you), and take deep breaths. This can help calm you (I recommend doing this to stop crying), and overall can make you more relaxed. Also, if you end up falling asleep, it’s an extra bonus ;)
TO BE CONTINUED...

mabes

Former Staff
Verified
mabelqines
mabelqines
Jun 12, 2018
<3 How to get rid of, or reduce headaches and migraines:
  • Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Failing to hydrate properly will cause headaches! Try to drink water throughout your day, as hydrating whilst you have a headache can make the headache go eventually, but it takes time. I am guilty of under-hydrating myself... :p
  • If you have an alcohol problem *you know who you are* try to regulate, or reduce drinking if you are experiencing routine headaches. ;)
  • SLEEP! I cannot stress how important sleep is! Deprivation of sleep can effect your health in many ways, none of them good. At least getting 6 hours of sleep can reduce headaches due to lack of sleep... apparently oversleeping can also cause headaches, so try to refrain from that also xD
  • Use a cold compress if you have one, as it can decrease inflammation, which will ultimately reduce head pain.
  • Drink something caffeinated, such as tea or coffee while experiencing a headache... also, if you’re experiencing crankiness or irritability, caffeine can improve your mood ;)
  • Take painkillers, such as ibroprofen or acetaminophen. If you’re younger, please talk to a parent before consuming medicine, and please use as directed based on weight and other things mentioned on the bottle. Remember to take these with a beverage, as it will work faster. These take a bit of time before they really start fixing the problem, so be patient... and if you’re impatient then drink some caffeine :)
  • Overall, to reduce stress or headaches after a long day, I suggest taking a bath with Epsom salts, bath bombs, or whatever works for you (a favorite of mine is bubble bath :D).
  • Try some ginger tea, as it contains antioxidants and inflammatory substances (good stuff) that can help reduce vomiting, as well as headaches.
  • Exercise! A simple way to reduce your headache is to do something physical (kick around a soccer ball, take a run, shoot hoops, and taking your dog on a walk are a few examples).
  • Something that helps me while I am struggling from a headache is to stay in a relatively quiet area, being cautious to stay away from bright lighting. Those factors can increase your headache. Also, try to stay off of technology, as much as it is tempting, it can also increase your headache.
  • Another thing to consider is maybe trying to meditate more often, as it can decrease headaches overall.
<3 How to be happier:
  • Force yourself to smile. If you smile long enough, you can trick your mind into being happy! YAY happiness! :>
  • Helping others makes you happy, and makes you feel more needed and more appreciated. It makes you feel good to help others.
  • Spend time out in the sunshine or rain! Fresh air is sometimes all I need to feel better. :)
  • If you need to, spend time by yourself to gather your thoughts and just overall calm down before going back into a stressful situation. For example, if at school or at work, sit in your car (or even in the bathroom), and just relax and take deep breaths.
  • Sometimes, as my anger or sadness and stress builds overtime mentally, I just need some time to cry to myself... it personally helps me get rid of, or reduce, those negative feelings so I can refocus.
  • Sometimes stepping out of a bad situation for a bit to relax is what needs to happen.
  • Reaching out to people you trust and care for to vent about your bad day, or just getting together with your support group and doing something fun can help.
  • Let go of your negative feelings, write down any bad thoughts related to you, or overall negative thoughts on a sheet of paper. Take deep breaths, mentally let the emotions attached to those feelings move onto the paper, and destroy or throw away that paper. Don’t type it on a document.
  • Imagine a place where you can relax and have no doubts. Close your eyes and become acquainted in that place, imagine yourself physically present in that place. Every time you need a break from reality, close your eyes and go to that place.
<3 Here are some phone numbers for you to call if you ever need them:
USA National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255 (24/7)
Canadian Gerstein Crisis Line: 416-929-9647 (24/7)
BW Tokyo Japan Line: 0081 (0) 3 5286 9090 (20:00 - 6:00 next morning)
Samaritans UK: 116 123 (24/7)
Australia- The Samaritans Inc: 135 246 OR 1800198313 (24/7)
Hong Kong Suicide Prevention Services: 00852-2382 0000 (24/7)
New Zealand Samaritans of Manawatu: (06) 586 1048 (24/7)

*If you don’t see a lifeline applicable to you, this site was helpful to me for finding international hotlines: https://www.befrienders.org*

I hope you benefitted from this post... keep in mind these are just suggestions, and you don’t necessarily need to abide by them, as they are merely tips.
If you are having problems that have escalated past normal, please seek it a trusted adult, or if you are an adult, seek out a therapist, counselor, or doctor. I would recommend going before it is too late, I don’t want to see any of you hurting when you could be receiving help.
This may sound cheesy, but I don’t want to lose any of you, no matter who you are, to the brutality sometimes exposed to us...
Finally, know you aren’t alone :3 <3

Have a lovely day!
With love (and donuts shhhhh),
Mabel <3

mabes

Former Staff
Verified
mabelqines
mabelqines
Jun 12, 2018
Thanks so much for all of this!! We need more people like you in this world <33
I just hope it helps people, cause we all go through **** now and then, or all the time. You never know... also ily thanks for being so sweet all the time. I MISS YOU WHERE ARE U BOO?