Growing Up [deep af, you've been warned]

Eun-duru

Former Staff
Apr 9, 2017
NorthEast USA
Lately I've been realizing how I keep my Minecraft actions on the down-low. Last week after a Sunday class (I take extra classes), I had time left over before I would go home. My mom had to do some teacher training, as she is a teacher at the school I attend.
I had my laptop, and I wanted so badly to log onto McCities and play with you all. However, I was scared to let the world see that I still played this kind of game. What would they think of me? I was 14!

-=-
It seems like I am afraid to let my friends or family find out that I am playing this overrated game with poor graphics and [mostly] immature fan-base. Besides, it's already died on Youtube, and all the kids in my grade have stopped playing it. It's become a thing of the past, and playing it nowadays just seems... "nerdy". "Like a geek". "Like a loser".
-=-

None of my friends [except for my closest] know that I play Minecraft. I'm scared to tell them, because I'm scared of getting ridiculed, or rejected by my friend group. I'm 14 already. Many of the staff on this server are 14, which shows that kids my age are the role models in this kind of game (meaning I'm considered old in comparison to other players).
-=-
And I know that many adults play Minecraft. You could argue that. But to me, they have more of a right to play the game than us teenagers. They've surpassed the world of school bullying, peer pressure, social anxiety. To them, playing the game is somewhat brave, since they've gained the courage to play a child's game. But us? We're stuck in a world in-between maturity and childhood. This is the same for many occasions: driving, parties, etc.
-=-

So, what do you think? Do you ever hide your Minecraft life from your friends for the same reasons? I'd like to hear what your thoughts are on this topic.

(try not to get too deep into it. i'm not looking for the cosmological argument).

Last edited:

zombeekeeller

xzombee
xzombee
Oct 28, 2016
Earth? yeah sure lets go with that
I used to kind of avoid the topic just cuz it was an old game. Then remembered o wait that's right I forgot I don't give a damn about what people think! That just goes for me tho ik there's ppl out there with social anxiety and things like that and I honestly feel rlly bad that they feel like they have to hide what they do for fun. Idk, there are mean ppl out there but u shouldn't have to hide what you like doin :) and mccites is accepting of all people ;) ur nawt old

Eun-duru

Former Staff
Apr 9, 2017
NorthEast USA
I used to kind of avoid the topic just cuz it was an old game. Then remembered o wait that's right I forgot I don't give a damn about what people think! That just goes for me tho ik there's ppl out there with social anxiety and things like that and I honestly feel rlly bad that they feel like they have to hide what they do for fun. Idk, there are mean ppl out there but u shouldn't have to hide what you like doin :) and mccites is accepting of all people ;) ur nawt old
awwww, thank you zombeekeeller! there was a point of my life where i really didn't care what others thought either, and then i got self conscious again lol.. i'll try to go back to my old ways, it was super fun and made me very confident! ^-^

lucyluhoo

Former Staff
lucyluhoo
lucyluhoo
Jan 1, 2017
yingr hingr dingr
You're fine my dear, I'm 15, I've played mine craft since I was 9. Don't be afraid to show what you enjoy, I get pressed constantly with that my family that I need to grow up, but if you enjoy it, do what you love. It doesn't matter what the world thinks 'cause most of it is corrupted at the moment. But, as I said, do what you enjoy, not what others want you to. :) Side note: If you ever need guidance, don't be afraid to message me, I know your position :p

Reactions: Eun-duru

Jo3512

Cyber Bullied
Maggot
Dec 7, 2016
Lately I've been realizing how I keep my Minecraft actions on the down-low. Last week after a Sunday class (I take extra classes), I had time left over before I would go home. My mom had to do some teacher training, as she is a teacher at the school I attend.
I had my laptop, and I wanted so badly to log onto McCities and play with you all. However, I was scared to let the world see that I still played this kind of game. What would they think of me? I was 14!

-=-
It seems like I am afraid to let my friends or family find out that I am playing this overrated game with poor graphics and [mostly] immature fan-base. Besides, it's already died on Youtube, and all the kids in my grade have stopped playing it. It's become a thing of the past, and playing it nowadays just seems... "nerdy". "Like a geek". "Like a loser".
-=-

None of my friends [except for my closest] know that I play Minecraft. I'm scared to tell them, because I'm scared of getting ridiculed, or rejected by my friend group. I'm 14 already. Many of the staff on this server are 14, which shows that kids my age are the role models in this kind of game (meaning I'm considered old in comparison to other players).
-=-
And I know that many adults play Minecraft. You could argue that. But to me, they have more of a right to play the game than us teenagers. They've surpassed the world of school bullying, peer pressure, social anxiety. To them, playing the game is somewhat brave, since they've gained the courage to play a child's game. But us? We're stuck in a world in-between maturity and childhood. This is the same for many occasions: driving, parties, etc.
-=-

So, what do you think? Do you ever hide your Minecraft life from your friends for the same reasons? I'd like to hear what your thoughts are on this topic.

(try not to get too deep into it. i'm not looking for the cosmological argument).
I think I'm the one who should be thinking this, I'm going to be 18 soon, and I still play this game. But as zombee said I don't give two sh*ts. A game is made for entertainment, if you find it fun then you play it. Games should not be classified by age (if you like Dora the explorer games then xD go you!) And just because a large amount of children play one game does not make it a child's game. I cannot tell you how many kids younger than 10 play call of duty, but you don't hear call of duty being called a kids game.

D

Deleted member 832

-=-
-=-

-=-
-=-

I was bullied all the way through middle school- Years 3-6 for Britain. One of the reasons was that I was a minecraft geek and I was an easy target. The teachers did nothing. Bear in mind I went to a private school and the teachers should've dealt with this. It happens today but only a little, because the high school I go to is part of the middle school. I still see the teacher who practically did nothing today, whenever I pass she gives me stern looks and makes snide comments

TheDiamondTiger

Cyber Bullied
Maggot
Feb 19, 2017
Diamond Cave, Quartz Forest, Kepler 186f
I was bullied all the way through middle school- Years 3-6 for Britain. One of the reasons was that I was a minecraft geek and I was an easy target. The teachers did nothing. Bear in mind I went to a private school and the teachers should've dealt with this. It happens today but only a little, because the high school I go to is part of the middle school. I still see the teacher who practically did nothing today, whenever I pass she gives me stern looks and makes snide comments
My middle school was messed up too, the teachers bullied the students and ignored all the kids who are the bullies, but had constant assemblies lecturing the victims on not bullying. I asked someone why they were being mean to me and he sucker punched me in the face giving me a concussion; the vice principal's brilliant solution was the kid wouldn't be punished, and we wouldn't talk about it, problem solved right?

D

Deleted member 832

My middle school was messed up too, the teachers bullied the students and ignored all the kids who are the bullies, but had constant assemblies lecturing the victims on not bullying. I asked someone why they were being mean to me and he sucker punched me in the face giving me a concussion; the vice principal's brilliant solution was the kid wouldn't be punished, and we wouldn't talk about it, problem solved right?
I was blamed for all the bullying, apparently for 4 years of bullying it was my fault. The most the bullies got was a talk. None of them were punished. They created a clan against me on clash of clans which was popular, pretty much the whole year was involved. One of the kids who bully me is a Kickboxing world champion so I'm taking self defence classes and researching self defence laws. Everytine I see my headmistress I'm filled with rage. They said I was below average intelligence, but the high school detected a very high iQ and potential. It makes me laugh to think how wrong they were, and still are.

Donut

Jan 14, 2017
your nearby Krispy Kreme

-=-
-=-

-=-
-=-

Don't listen to what other people say. Minecraft is an awesome game, and if other people don't think so then it is their loss. Before, I had social anxiety because I play Minecraft and was scared if my friends thought I was nerdy, but when I showed them they were totally cool with it. I don't hide it anymore, and I AM PROUD TO PLAY MINECRAFT. Embrace it.

Donut

Jan 14, 2017
your nearby Krispy Kreme
Hope you're okay. I hate bullies :mad::mad:

ayylmfao

jaypi0
jaypi0
Jan 29, 2017
Ireland
minecraft is a great game, we're all entitled to play what we want. lol, what's very funny is that i let my friends know TOO much about my minecraft life. most of the people in my class play mc so if you want to play mc play mc gurl :creeper::mobpig::mobspider::mobspider2: :cooler: :D :p

Bleach

Mar 22, 2017
The Clorox Company

-=-
-=-

-=-
-=-

I am around that stage in school were u are made fun of playing Minecraft but when i told my friends it even turned out they played mc aswell! So what im saying is tell ur friends u play mc if u want but if u do best if u dont act like an mc expert that knows everything Just say u enjoy the game xD

D

Deleted member 832

-=-
-=-

-=-
-=-

Meh. I know parents who play the game. If someone pushes you down, get back up, if they do it again, punch them, haaaarrd

Izzie

Former Staff
Nov 7, 2016
I hide minecraft from my friends, i get embarrassed and scared often. I have no confidence in real life, if people at school find out ill most likely be picked on. I dont its something to be afraid of actually though, we have a lovely community and we should be proud that we are awesome gamers and know loads of computing stuff that other people dont.

Realu

Jan 22, 2017
minecraft
Personally, I have no problem with it (But to be fair, As you said the age of school bullying etc is behind me). My friends and I are all man-children. We openly geek about superheroes and other games, tv shows and whatnot that to some could be seen as "Childish", but there's no problem with that. Entertainment is entertainment. The Bullies, or people who pick on others as stated above, probably also have their own guilty pleasure no one knows about. Why can't you? Its nothing to be afraid of, its your life, your entertainment, live it the way you want to, and if others harass you for that then they are some trashy people.

Edit: If you want to hide it for personal reasons, theres nothing wrong with that either, better safe than sorry, but my point is; dont be afraid of it. Its COMPLETELY normal but if others dont see it that way then so be it

Last edited:

TheDiamondTiger

Cyber Bullied
Maggot
Feb 19, 2017
Diamond Cave, Quartz Forest, Kepler 186f
Minecraft is a game people make fun of mainly because they don't know the extent it has progressed over the years. I've been playing MC for about 5 years and the game has only gotten better, mainly by the community. Whats great about Minecraft from the programmer's perspective is that it is so simple and a great place to test ideas. Many people judge the game on the boring single player, but when you can play with friends; you can create massive worlds where creativity can flourish. Mojang has provided the internet with a tool for easy access to people's wildest dreams and those who look down upon you for taking advantage of it are ridiculously ignorant.

Uni

Apr 8, 2017
narnia
This was like a few weeks ago, but, Eun, don't care what ppl think, you do your thang other ppl can do there thang, let ppl know who you are! It's their problem if they don't accept it, your friends think of you as a friend now, it shouldn't change if you tell them. Not like, if your friends come over, you play mc while they just sit on the floor. It's something you do on your free time, and doesn't intrude your time at school with friends, and they shouldn't act mean to you for playing mc on your free time, it's you time to chill then, do things you luv, and relax.
In case you talked to your friends about it already: if they took it gr8ly, NOICE, if they didn't, talk to me about it

Reactions: Deleted member 832