Is the server really dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Trump15024

Recently, lots of players on the server have said that the server is dead etc. All chats are filled with it. I thought I would do some research to put the claim to the test.
Screen Shot 2018-10-23 at 7.38.17 PM.png

1) The server is not dead and the smaller amount of players is just because of the school year starting and because minecraft is becoming less popular. As you can see in this graph the server population went down when the school year started.

2) Just yesterday 126 people joined the server in all.
Screen Shot 2018-10-23 at 7.47.19 PM.png

3) As you can see in the graph the most populated days are weekends when players are not in school especially Sundays.

Please stop saying the server is dead

wisemanjp

Verified
wisemanjp
wisemanjp
Jan 13, 2018
the ink inside a ballpoint pen
I don't like thinking that the server is dead. People say it, then they say they won't "sugarcoat" it, and I hate thinking that this wonderful community might really come to an end (NOT SAYING IT WILL, CUZ I WONT LET IT AHHHHHHH). I don't think it's dying. stop telling me im wrong, dinkleberries

Reactions: Minty
T

Trump15024

The server is far from dead. It should really be called “natural decreasing in players due to the lowering of the Minecraft playerbase”

H

Heather

To understand what people mean when they say "the server is dying" you have to look at trends that go farther back than just a few months you have posted. (See Sundae's post for a longer timeline of the player rates, there has been a steady decline for the past year)

Naturally games that are played by school age people are going to be less popular during the school year. Over the past 5 years, the server always sees a slight dip at the end of the summer. However, if you look at the past few years of data, there have been very broad swings of the amounts of players. When Kiri first came back as the server manager for Stan and all the staff were banned and the all the chests of the server deleted, the server struggled to get 20 people online at a time (This was 3 or 4 years ago, my freshman year at college when I played as a normal player. A lot of people quit, including my best friend because they were so upset at the drama and their stuff going missing).

But during my time as a staff member, the server really rebounded, we went from barely getting 15-20 players online, to averaging 50 or more for most of the day with peaks of over 100 players. My favorite statistic to look at was how many people were online in the middle of the night EST time, because most of our player base was US kids who would be asleep at that time, it gave me a chance to see how the server had grown. It went from having 1-3 people online from 1am-5am EST to having 20-30 people online at that time. Whenever I join these days, it really does remind me of the times a few years ago when everyone quit...

I personally think the biggest problem facing the "the server is dying" thing is the fact that cities has a very low retention rate. We have soooo many people join, but not many stick around for longer than a week or month. Recently people have been leaving at a faster rate, and that's why we're seeing so many people say the server is dying. Because in the long run, there have been less people online than the peak times a year or so ago. But the server isn't dead, and it wont be dead for as long as there are still people who love and care for it. But it would help to address the issues that people say when they leave the server, because player retention is an important part of a successful server.

Side note: staff cant do anything about the player rates besides being friendly and making a positive environment for players. Even admins like Sundae really can't do much for the big picture. Over the life of the server most players agreed that the staff members as a whole were friendly people who got them to stay longer than they would have normally from being upset about other issues (Based on the responses from the feedback survey I held a few months before I left the server).

Dwimmer

Principal
jjaacckkssoonn
jjaacckkssoonn
Jun 21, 2018
Australia
google.com
I personally think the biggest problem facing the "the server is dying" thing is the fact that cities has a very low retention rate. We have soooo many people join, but not many stick around for longer than a week or month. Recently people have been leaving at a faster rate, and that's why we're seeing so many people say the server is dying.
IKR i see that aaaallll the time, all these new lovely people joining but then barely any of them staying.. :( ive been trying as best i can to help them out and make it less confusing and such but with just me i can only do so much

Reactions: Minty and Icey

TheDiamondTiger

Cyber Bullied
Maggot
Feb 19, 2017
Diamond Cave, Quartz Forest, Kepler 186f
Recently, lots of players on the server have said that the server is dead etc. All chats are filled with it. I thought I would do some research to put the claim to the test.
View attachment 6252
1) The server is not dead and the smaller amount of players is just because of the school year starting and because minecraft is becoming less popular. As you can see in this graph the server population went down when the school year started.

View attachment 6253
3) As you can see in the graph the most populated days are weekends when players are not in school especially Sundays.

I doubt that was unique joins. Maybe don't pull up some graphs without sources or context. Also you didn't account for kiri's alts.

T

Trump15024

I doubt that was unique joins. Maybe don't pull up some graphs without sources or context. Also you didn't account for kiri's alts.
Well there were over 40 players+ yesterday who played for 1 hour or more and that showed the usernames and UID's

TheDiamondTiger

Cyber Bullied
Maggot
Feb 19, 2017
Diamond Cave, Quartz Forest, Kepler 186f
Well there were over 40 players+ yesterday who played for 1 hour or more and that showed the usernames and UID's
You have no sources nor credibility. Send some links and then I can just show you that joins doesn't matter and retention is more important for profitability which is the whole point of this server.

Laurel

MissFrosty
MissFrosty
Jan 13, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
www.youtube.com
View attachment 6252

View attachment 6253

<3 so happy to see this ^-^ its nice to know im not the only person who doesnt think this sever is dying.

Death

Mar 18, 2017
This is kinda inaccurate, as this is too little data, to prove the decline, if you can get summer of last years data that would be helpful but again the server is losing players. I won’t contradict any if your beliefs but the facts are shown and what is there is what it is.

ItzJazzMade

Former Staff
Verified
Empty_exe
Empty_exe
Oct 14, 2017
Google maps
I read the title and I know. This is going to be some stupid bs isn't it?

Now I must say statistics to prove a lie. Very original. Hasn't been used here very often. Real life tho... overused.

The server is dying: less people join the community. More people leave thr community. Nobody replaces the older players with knowledge and status.

I was going to say this on another post but I cant type there for some reason )_( so ehm here goes.

All we as a player can do is keep playing. Keep being active and survive even as a community of only 20 people. Wih a base community that holds it together we will see a stop in the lose of players as we keep it together. A starting point to start again and build up a new fresh community.
But staff does have the ability to do 10x more stuff for this server then we could ever as a normal player. Take the rank take the responsebility. But who cares at this point who's going to fix it. We just need to fix it in general!

Also if you just want to say its not dying just leave these sorts if forum posts. Because ignorance doesn't help. Sayi g I think it's not dying and thag makes me a positive person is a lie. It either makes you stupid or ignorat or both idc.
Just my mind can't take it. I love this server so much and Im toxic for wanting to safe it. Well then I feel like I should make some more holes in the sinking ship...

CUZ DEM UGH ITS DYING ESTABLISHED FACT UNDENIABLE TRUE TOTALLY TRUE NOT FAKE NEWS OR LIES BY POLITICIANS
Just...
Dying. Not dead. Dying.

And lol trump the server can also be dying because of lose of intrest in mc. But it's still dying bro. I just read that and realise how much that makes no sence.

Status
Not open for further replies.