Lag Reduction

Is the server laggy? In any way (i.e the wait during login)

• Total voters

andrewandy

Verified
andrewandy
andrewandy
Citizen
Nov 25, 2017
Hong Kong
Although I am a new player to this server. I am quite experienced in setting up servers and with Minecraft server mechanics. Currently, there is quite some lag on the server due to multiple things,

A) Players loading chunks in different worlds (I.e Nether, Creative and the City) which leads to a low TPS
B) Too many/heavy plugins which can also lead to a low TPS and high RAM usage.
C)Redstone/Block updates. - The biggest reason as to why there are lag, low tps and high RAM usage.

There are multiple ways that I can foresee to fix these problems.

1) Increase processing power & ram. Dedicating a more powerful CPU and more ram to the server can be a scalable fix to this.

2)Running multiple servers linked with bungeecord rather than running multiworld.

3) Reducing Redstone (So no clocks and stuff although that would be very annoying from a redstoner/player perspective.)

4) Reducing the max players the server can have.

5) Reducing the render distance for players. Reducing the render distance greatly improves server performance and also reduces RAM usage. It does affect gameplay slightly though.

This is a suggestion to greatly decrease lag on the server and improve the playing experience of players. I do hope this will provide some insight to those who see this as to why they may feel FPS lag even though they are running at 60+ FPS. This is due to a low server TPS - which is caused by a lack of either RAM or processing power.

Reactions: Optic and Minty
D

Deleted member 832

They're trying to make improvements to the server as fast as they can. BungeeCord on most server hosts requires an additional subscription to set up and I guess it wouldn't be financially feasible to extend the server RAM.

andrewandy

Verified
andrewandy
andrewandy
Citizen
Nov 25, 2017
Hong Kong
EDIT:

There is a 6th Method - Limiting the map size (/wild size) therefore the server does not need to generate new chunk which can cause lag.

The drawback to this is that the resources in the wild will now be limited, therefore there would be a need to do map resets. My suggestion to eliminate this is so that we can isolate /wild. The terrain there can be re-generated let's say every week/month that way resources are "unlimited" but won't requires the server to do so much work. (Players in /wild will be REQUIRED to tp back to spawn before they log out to prevent loss of their inventory in the event of a /wild are reset. So I guess everyone in /wild will be tped out before the restart (Server restart).

Powerfull

Former Staff
Verified
Powerfull
Powerfull
Citizen
Mar 22, 2017
EDIT:

There is a 6th Method - Limiting the map size (/wild size) therefore the server does not need to generate new chunk which can cause lag.

The drawback to this is that the resources in the wild will now be limited, therefore there would be a need to do map resets. My suggestion to eliminate this is so that we can isolate /wild. The terrain there can be re-generated let's say every week/month that way resources are "unlimited" but won't requires the server to do so much work. (Players in /wild will be REQUIRED to tp back to spawn before they log out to prevent loss of their inventory in the event of a /wild are reset. So I guess everyone in /wild will be tped out before the restart (Server restart).
But people have wild bases, and for most if u have ways it can be pretty cheap to own a base in the wild! This would reset all bases ;-;

Turkey

Former Staff
PurpleTurkey
PurpleTurkey
Mar 22, 2017
4 Privet Drive
To answer your poll, lag during the initial login, is more likely to be caused by your computer or network (unless the server is restarting, or having a major lag spike [which rarely happens])

ItzJazzMade

Former Staff
Verified
Empty_exe
Empty_exe
Oct 14, 2017
Google maps
I am honestly confused as I didn't say that 1 year ago but the forums says I did. I was like not active at the forums at all at this time in 2017. So guessing the forums bugged out here

Dwimmer

Principal
jjaacckkssoonn
jjaacckkssoonn
Jun 21, 2018
Australia
google.com
Hey so, im almost certain that the login freeze isnt really lag its just your game updating to the texture pack :) if u dont like it, just go into multiplayer ---> Click The Server ---> Edit ---> Texture Pack Disable :)

andrewandy

Verified
andrewandy
andrewandy
Citizen
Nov 25, 2017
Hong Kong
@Everyone here - This suggestion is kinda old and I have submitted a slightly newer version that is more in depth and has solutions to newer issues.