Stock Market Plugin

Would you like more stocks and dividends added to MCCITIES?

• I would like dividends but not more stocks.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Pozu

Feb 25, 2018
As a dedicated member to the server I welcomed the very mention of the stock market coming to MCCITIES. As a result I popped on the server as soon as I could once the update came out... Only to discover that there were a few stocks which didn't pay dividends. My questions refer to the stock market plugin and the features that are in it (or possibly will be added in the future).

In real (American) stock markets such as NASDAQ or the Dow many companies offer dividends. A dividend is a sum of money paid regularly (typically quarterly) by a company to its shareholders out of its profits or reserves. Simplified a dividend is money that people that bought stock in a company get regularly for owning stock in the company. You may have heard of Proctor & Gamble, or maybe Johnson & Johnson, if those two don't ring a bell what about Microsoft? All three of these companies give dividends to shareholders. I believe that if dividends were added into the game it would allow for much more money to be made.

This brings me to my next topic (which is related to dividends). On Minecraft you won't be playing for the rest of your life (or maybe you will). Because you (probably) won't be playing for years and years to come, your stocks may not raise in value too much. Some stocks raise very slowly over time whilst others double or triple in value over a course of months. The average yearly return on your stock is 9.8%. This may seem like quite a lot compared to banks rates or other rates (which have only about a 3% annual return rate), but in reality, it would take longer then a couple of months or one or two years for your stocks to really make you some money. Dividends would allow people to make money much more easily and readily. It would also allow for more monetary flow on MCCITIES.

Finally, (I know those last two were difficult paragraphs to read as they were quite boring and you may think nothing of them) we get to our last point. This, my friends, is the addition of more stocks! As you all know, MCCITIES doesn't have many stocks on the market at the moment. This limits your ability to make profit and buy a new house or car (or plane)! I feel as if MCCITIES should add more stocks to their market as it would provide for a better experience on the server. I feel that MCCITIES should not simply add trending or "hot" stocks right now, but should also add other stocks, such as the infamous Proctor & Gamble, Microsoft, Caterpillar and Johnson & Johnson. A more diverse amount of stocks would benefit the community greatly (as would adding dividends, in fact probably just as much or more so).

NOTE: I will be posting more on this plugin with further suggestions such as "package stocks".

Thank you for your time in reading all of this (I know, it's a lot).

Reactions: BootsieBear

Shadow_stalker77

Jul 14, 2017
Just so you know, all of the above companies are in the plugin. ^ I think all NYSE and NASDAQ publicly-traded companies are on the plugin, but I could be wrong. However, I know for sure that the plugin has way more stocks than just the ones on /stocks popular. You have to look up stock symbols online to buy them, though.

Reactions: Powerfull

Death

Mar 18, 2017
Some companies in foreign countries, have different stock symbols which the stocks in mccities, dosent recognize

Reactions: Powerfull

Pozu

Feb 25, 2018
Some companies in foreign countries, have different stock symbols which the stocks in mccities, dosent recognize
I do realize this. I am talking about the American stock markets. Not foreign ones although MCCITIES would be more than welcome to take on stocks from other countries.

Neilio_Xtreme

Neilio_Xtreme
Neilio_Xtreme
Oct 10, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the /stocks have all companies in the NYSE and NASDAQ. Which is quite a lot. Explore around a little bit and you'll find there are plenty of options, albeit if you gotta do some research to find them or figure out what the company actually is.

Dividends would be a cool addition to stocks, maybe with a payout once per week based on how long you've held the stocks for that week, to avoid people grabbing valuable stocks right before payout and then selling right after.

However stocks are pretty fun/rewarding as they currently are.

nibble

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Mouse
Mouse
Expatriate
Jan 18, 2016
The popular stocks list is only a small list of options, you are able to purchase many other company stocks via searching up their stock symbol. While it may take some time for you to receive any real profit from this, this is not intended to entirely make you easy passive income, hence why not everyone does stocks. If you want more profit, you should take a jab at more risky companies who have more potential to do far better in a short amount of time (or far worse).

This is somewhat supposed to act as money sink as well for people who lose out via stocks.

watermellin

May 9, 2017
The popular stocks list is only a small list of options, you are able to purchase many other company stocks via searching up their stock symbol. While it may take some time for you to receive any real profit from this, this is not intended to entirely make you easy passive income, hence why not everyone does stocks. If you want more profit, you should take a jab at more risky companies who have more potential to do far better in a short amount of time (or far worse).

This is somewhat supposed to act as money sink as well for people who lose out via stocks.
I made 10% on my first day in the markets on here. It's all in your bets. Helps to day trade irl though :)