EunTalk: "Life at Brown University"

Eun-duru

Former Staff
Apr 9, 2017
NorthEast USA
Henloooo everyone!

So, as some of you know (if you keep up with my updates) I am currently at Brown University! I am studying a course called "The Psychology and Philosophy of Happiness". And let me tell you... it isn't as interesting as it sounds.
But besides that, I've been having a pretty nice time!

My schedule consists of only a few events:
8:00 - Wake up
8:45 - Join friends for breakfast
9:20 - Do stuff with friends
11:40 - Sit in my room for 3 hours doing work
3:30 - Class
6:30 - Dinner with friends
7:10 - Do stuff with friends
11:00 - Come back to room, go on laptop
12:00 - Sleep.
So obviously I don't really do much...

But I'd like to update everyone on how I've been doing.
First off, the class is incredibly boring. I thought it would be super interesting, like the class title sounds. Plus, I'm a fan of philosophy, so I thought we would have nice discussions and I would learn to be a happier person. But no.
All we do all class is take notes, which yes, is on interesting topics, however I find it difficult to keep concentration. Our professor is the head of the philosophy department, and he keeps class *spicy* and funny, but at the end of the day it's just notes.
Plus, I have absolutely no friends in this class.
Last year, when I went to Haverford College to take a course in basic philosophy, EVERYONE in my class was my friend. During break-time, we would all play "Spud" together, and it was a blast. But here... no.
To add to that, I only have a small group of friends. All of them are in my hall, and we do everything together. But I have no friends outside of my hall, which is terrible. I guess this is what I signed up for, since I'm a huge introvert. I'm currently sitting in my dorm alone, and I plan on being in here for another 2 hours. But its fine! I get to talk to everyone here, and play video games XD.
Oh, and a little on my roommate.
I hardly ever see her, since she's always out with her friends. She is a super fancy, kind, respectful girl who speaks fluent French. She's actually from Paris, which is SUPER cool, as I'm learning French. Her sense of style in insanely nice, however its not my cup of tea. I do respect it though.

Now onto the topic of food!
The food here at Brown isn't that great, but it isn't terrible either. Before the program, I read a little about it online, and I heard that it was GaRBAGE. But it really isn't. Their fries are insanely good and most of their food is manageable. However, the pasta last night made me feel a little nauseous. But its ok, I got Ben and Jerry's ice cream afterwards :).
Oh and, the cafeteria is SUPER hot. Well, I shouldn't really call it the cafeteria, since Brown students like to call it the "Ratty".

On another note, the program has lots of activities on the weekends. Tomorrow, my friends and I are going to watch Mean Girls in downtown Providence, which is part of an event called "Movies on the Block". On Friday, we're going to a Food Truck event in a park near us, and I'm ready to gain like 500 pounds. Plus, on Saturday, we're going to Newport, which is a beach area an hour drive from here. I went there a couple of days ago with my parents, but I would love to go with my friends.

Oh. It's raining outside. And hard.
---I'd like to say that I am a super lucky individual, because half an hour ago I was out shopping on Thayer Street. Thayer Street is a street on the borders of our campus. The university's bookstore is on Thayer, and so is a CVS, multiple eateries, and an Urban Outfitters. Pretty cool.
Today, I found a little store of small quirky items, which I decided to look around at. I was actually looking for a gift for my boyfriend, since his birthday comes up after I get home from Brown. I found some interesting stuff, like a cookbook for weed (lol), and a rainbow light globe. Don't worry, I didn't buy those things for him lmao, I ended up getting nothing.

Anyways, this EunTalk has basically no purpose.
I don't really feel like making it all colorful or anything, since I have reading to do in a bit. Lol.

Until next time,
Eun :)