Is the Economy Failing? (A Discussion)

Pixel

Dec 27, 2016
a galaxy far far away
As you may be able to see, the econ of cities has steadily been going down for the past year, in the sense that prices are going up and inflation is so high. There have been many proposals of how to fix it (some ideas more helpful than others like converting the current currency into a new one to bring inflation down-@TheDiamondTiger verses the idea of creating new islands which really just devalues preexisting islands-@sundae22). However, I've been gone for a bit so I'd like to know your thoughts on it. Kiri seems to pay a minimal amount of attention to these new ideas, but if someone has a good plan maybe he'll work on it for once.

On a slightly related note, the server is dying, statistically of course, the community seems very full of great players and staff right now, just like Sundae! The summer of 2017 was the peak of players per day where it was constantly populated with at least 20 players at all times. You can see a decline from there down till this summer where it didn't come close to peaking with max players like it did last summer, but now you can go on cities and there will be 15 players on in the middle of the day. You can say that this is because of the school year starting, but it has dropped so much from last year that it's not unrealistic to project and by next year Cities could be dead, or close to it, player wise.

If I am incorrect on any of this (not based on your opinion) please politely correct me guys! We all make mistakes, some more than the rest of us ; ) Anyways, DONT FORGET TO SMILE GUYS!!!!!! REALLY, YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED TO NOT SMILE BONCHES

-Pixel <3

lucyluhoo

Former Staff
lucyluhoo
lucyluhoo
Jan 1, 2017
yingr hingr dingr
I have a feeling you're correct in a way, especially since I've been playing here for almost 3 years and seen it go up and down many times,,, on that point, I will say the amount of players on a day to day basis has steadily gone down, some for school but maybe some because their bored >>> McCities is a server where you have to work to be successful, and unlike many other servers, many players aren't interested in our current plugins and would rather play a fast paced, mini-game like server. That's why servers such as Hypixel are currently booming. I don't know how to make this place more interesting other than add new plugins and engage players more, but it's a role play server and many people don't want role play. In my eyes, it's a survival situation. Adapt to what people want and are interested in or die.

Laurel

MissFrosty
MissFrosty
Jan 13, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
www.youtube.com
As you may be able to see, the econ of cities has steadily been going down for the past year, in the sense that prices are going up and inflation is so high. There have been many proposals of how to fix it (some ideas more helpful than others like converting the current currency into a new one to bring inflation down-@TheDiamondTiger verses the idea of creating new islands which really just devalues preexisting islands-@sundae22). However, I've been gone for a bit so I'd like to know your thoughts on it. Kiri seems to pay a minimal amount of attention to these new ideas, but if someone has a good plan maybe he'll work on it for once.

On a slightly related note, the server is dying, statistically of course, the community seems very full of great players and staff right now, just like Sundae! The summer of 2017 was the peak of players per day where it was constantly populated with at least 20 players at all times. You can see a decline from there down till this summer where it didn't come close to peaking with max players like it did last summer, but now you can go on cities and there will be 15 players on in the middle of the day. You can say that this is because of the school year starting, but it has dropped so much from last year that it's not unrealistic to project and by next year Cities could be dead, or close to it, player wise.

If I am incorrect on any of this (not based on your opinion) please politely correct me guys! We all make mistakes, some more than the rest of us ; ) Anyways, DONT FORGET TO SMILE GUYS!!!!!! REALLY, YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED TO NOT SMILE BONCHES

-Pixel <3
<3 i luv chu and ur ideas ^-^ luv the end too <3 bootiful quote :>

wisemanjp

Verified
wisemanjp
wisemanjp
Jan 13, 2018
the ink inside a ballpoint pen
1. Welcome to the revolution, we have cake
2. good stuff. While other important posts were about standards and the community, this one addressed another important topic, that being our Economy. I do believe that a full reset for the economy would be beneficial. But, people don't want to part with their millions (@sundae22), so we could possibly find a way to work out the inflation. :)

ItzJazzMade

Former Staff
Verified
Empty_exe
Empty_exe
Oct 14, 2017
Google maps
1. Welcome to the revolution, we have cake
2. good stuff. While other important posts were about standards and the community, this one addressed another important topic, that being our Economy. I do believe that a full reset for the economy would be beneficial. But, people don't want to part with their millions (@sundae22), so we could possibly find a way to work out the inflation. :)
Lol reset the economy and the server dies in 2 seconds.
Its a big nono
You can stop further inflation. I mean prices these days are oke right? Everyone can buy what they want. People just get bored. And some jobs have monopoly iver others (miner and arch)
But staff always has been 'afraid' to interviene. Or they just dont care idk. How could I know

Reactions: Minty

Shadow_stalker77

Jul 14, 2017
Not sure why everyone is like "adding islands devalues (!) current islands!!!!! oh no! BAD!!!" when that is literally the whole point.

Islands are worth wayyy too much because there is a limited supply. If the supply increases, the worth decreases. We need to devalue islands because it's simply crazy how much one costs. For example, sundae bought bunny for 3.75m in July 2017. One year later, it would now be worth at the very least 15m. That's 4 times its original value. Even plot values haven't reached that high yet.

The people against adding islands either 1) own an island and want to maintain its exorbitant value just to brag and be "elite" or 2) keep spouting nonsense about how it would be unfair for those island owners that paid a lot of money for their islands, only to have its worth decrease. That's called sacrifice for the greater good. Everyone wants to fix the economy, but doesn't want to put work in or give up anything. That's why the problem has progressed enough for multiple posts about the same issue.

No wonder staff doesn't do anything about the economy, it's because if they did, they would be ridiculed and insulted by people who think they understand the economy better than them.

Death

Mar 18, 2017
This isnt a factions or skyblock server, if you do a full reset were gonna be worst of than before sure everyone gets an equal chance but how many players will you lose. Your starting off from 0 with a slight advantage. Mccities is already ranked among the top 5 best city servers so if you reset that to 0 good luck getting back up there. And if a reset did happened, players would likely want a reward or a slight boost /perk for being one of the richest before a reset happens. Islands werent the cost of its inflation, everything in general just goes up at the cost of others going down. Sf and mythics are devalued but prices go higher as well as build prices (mostly). I dont think most of the island owners brag about their island that much in my opinion. (Well i do sometimes but i know most don't). I think that islands could be regioned I guess, or in my opinion server owned islands could be made and subdivided to into different cities and those cities could be sold out. Based from (sort of experience) its easier to manage an already made city as you would not need to worry much about costs to get the land redone terraformed etc... thats what most islands cost etc...

Sure regioning islands would be nice but its kind of hard to develop one with the lack of archs who would place time to building an island for a player for a reasoanable amount. Secondly I don’t think much players care about the price value of their island at this point cause most of them really just wanna keep it and develop it. Only a few have intentions of selling I guess.

I don’t completely agree that staff should get the say on everything but its better to see the opinions of players and staff members. I know staff have access to more info and perhaps some statistics on stuff but, some players also have a say on what they want and think would be beneficial. I think its best if the ideas are met halfway that way you don’t give them all their demands but you do give them something that satisfies them and also is not something way too big. After all its called an open forums.

Reactions: Gabbygytes

Gabbygytes

Aspectual
Aspectual
Sep 26, 2017
your Heart
aspectual.pw
It's not just the server's economy; it is a worldwide catastrophe.
Do some research, many countries around the world are facing inflation.

Last edited by a moderator:

ItzJazzMade

Former Staff
Verified
Empty_exe
Empty_exe
Oct 14, 2017
Google maps
Shut the f up guys!

It's not just the server's economy; it is a worldwide catastrophe.
Do some research, many countries around the world are facing inflation.
1. Dont curse idiot (jk xd but why)
2. But it also gets fixed most if the time. Because the goverment intervienes. But that aside.

@Shadow_stalker77 is actually right. Islands increased in value the most of all. Why? Because the playerbase grew and people became more interested in owning an island themself. Also if you work hard and have some friends you can build up an island by hand. I even think sundae will be nice enough to copy some parts for you and do the basic island shaping (or a sr arch. It literally takes up 30m if the structure is done) islands have outgrown their own possible value. Making them an unreachable goal. Trump played 2 years. For sure wanted an island for almost 1 full year. Finally he is rewarded. Most players are not planning on working that long.

Aalso islands play at this point no real role in economy or roleplay. I mean cayman is cayman and most people dont even know there so many islands. Making more means island standards higher up too and they become more know and have more (deserved and probably positive) influence on the server.

Second is make private islands. Many players want 1 of 2. Public or private. Private islands should be smaller. Cheaper and easier to get. Are they? No. Smaller islands should btw stay private. Public islands with no regions are worth way nore this way.

Also something is cities. On cayman self. Takes away the whole terraforming aspect as most work can easily be done by hand. Only houses are needed. This focuses the work more to having a lovely public city that can more easily be made into a nice organised place.

Aaaaalso. Before anyone mentions it. Only balwipes will be even worse. At its just a lets start over again. It wont fix the house market. Just people with houses will be instantly the richest players as house prices are not set anymore and have a hiiigh demand. Just saying.

Maybe staff can do more serverwide long lasting events like halloween a lot of players have a reason to stay online that way and we can have our community easily grow again. Need ideas? Read the need ideas post of Leanne from may I believe or msg me ;) gehehhehe

Cozmicraft

Verified
cozmicraft
cozmicraft
Citizen
u rite, a lot of people left/are leaving because the quality of the server just isn't there anymore or they get bored
We've lost so much, it's staggering. Delicatebean, Leanne, Prince, Showercurtain, Shakaar, Ena, FactsLmao, and so many others. All of the classic players, who have been there for ages, are leaving. It irritates me that I can only write, for my mediocre writing cannot convey exactly what I feel about this situation. But please, everyone, WORK TOGETHER to fix whatever is causing our beloved players to leave. I have no ideas at the moment but will do my best to help in any way I can. It would be a shame if McCities was brought down by an unbalanced economy, or lag, or some other technical issue, so let us look to the future and fix it.

Or at least slow it down we have a bit of time left to be with friends on the server.

Death

Mar 18, 2017
We've lost so much, it's staggering. Delicatebean, Leanne, Prince, Showercurtain, Shakaar, Ena, FactsLmao, and so many others. All of the classic players, who have been there for ages, are leaving. It irritates me that I can only write, for my mediocre writing cannot convey exactly what I feel about this situation. But please, everyone, WORK TOGETHER to fix whatever is causing our beloved players to leave. I have no ideas at the moment but will do my best to help in any way I can. It would be a shame if McCities was brought down by an unbalanced economy, or lag, or some other technical issue, so let us look to the future and fix it.

Or at least slow it down we have a bit of time left to be with friends on the server.
They arent all classic but ok,

Death

Mar 18, 2017
1. Dont curse idiot (jk xd but why)
2. But it also gets fixed most if the time. Because the goverment intervienes. But that aside.

@Shadow_stalker77 is actually right. Islands increased in value the most of all. Why? Because the playerbase grew and people became more interested in owning an island themself. Also if you work hard and have some friends you can build up an island by hand. I even think sundae will be nice enough to copy some parts for you and do the basic island shaping (or a sr arch. It literally takes up 30m if the structure is done) islands have outgrown their own possible value. Making them an unreachable goal. Trump played 2 years. For sure wanted an island for almost 1 full year. Finally he is rewarded. Most players are not planning on working that long.

Aalso islands play at this point no real role in economy or roleplay. I mean cayman is cayman and most people dont even know there so many islands. Making more means island standards higher up too and they become more know and have more (deserved and probably positive) influence on the server.

Second is make private islands. Many players want 1 of 2. Public or private. Private islands should be smaller. Cheaper and easier to get. Are they? No. Smaller islands should btw stay private. Public islands with no regions are worth way nore this way.

Also something is cities. On cayman self. Takes away the whole terraforming aspect as most work can easily be done by hand. Only houses are needed. This focuses the work more to having a lovely public city that can more easily be made into a nice organised place.

Aaaaalso. Before anyone mentions it. Only balwipes will be even worse. At its just a lets start over again. It wont fix the house market. Just people with houses will be instantly the richest players as house prices are not set anymore and have a hiiigh demand. Just saying.

Maybe staff can do more serverwide long lasting events like halloween a lot of players have a reason to stay online that way and we can have our community easily grow again. Need ideas? Read the need ideas post of Leanne from may I believe or msg me ;) gehehhehe
Dwarf didnt even need to go like 6months before she got an island or was it 6months

Shadow_stalker77

Jul 14, 2017

I'm willing to bet that most people who are leaving are doing so out of boredom. Sure, some newer players have quit because of lag, and a few players have been permanently banned. But I know of at least 20 players who have gone inactive because they're bored.

There's tons of stuff to do on this server, but you can only visit each warp, PvP, build, or do a job for so long. After a year, doing the same thing every day gets boring. There's nothing to "fix" because people will eventually get bored no matter what.

Some temporary solutions would be to add or improve more server warps, which is being done (library, campground, mall, etc.). Even island improvements would help, like what's being added to Runnerboro and Bunny. Another would be to add more plugins, which would cause more lag and drive new players away. I guess some less-popular plugins could be removed to make room for new ones, though.

ItzJazzMade

Former Staff
Verified
Empty_exe
Empty_exe
Oct 14, 2017
Google maps
I'm willing to bet that most people who are leaving are doing so out of boredom. Sure, some newer players have quit because of lag, and a few players have been permanently banned. But I know of at least 20 players who have gone inactive because they're bored.

There's tons of stuff to do on this server, but you can only visit each warp, PvP, build, or do a job for so long. After a year, doing the same thing every day gets boring. There's nothing to "fix" because people will eventually get bored no matter what.

Some temporary solutions would be to add or improve more server warps, which is being done (library, campground, mall, etc.). Even island improvements would help, like what's being added to Runnerboro and Bunny. Another would be to add more plugins, which would cause more lag and drive new players away. I guess some less-popular plugins could be removed to make room for new ones, though.
Events that have minmal plugin usage would be great. Also lagg is (finalllyyy) kinda being fixed step by step. But it will take a while.
Events and roleplayrelatedminigames

Jabu

MisterColin
MisterColin
Dec 22, 2016
Canada
Short answer; Yes, cities is dead. There's a small chance it could be revived if good and more frequent updates that would bring back players, not pointless updates that literally nobody asked for. The last big update that I can remember was the addition of mythics, which was well over a year ago. If nothing is done, and soon, the server will have pretty much no player base anymore.

T

Trump15024

Well, regioning more islands wouldn’t be a bad idea like 1-3. Tbh like I have said increasing popularity of islands with the regioning of 1-3 will raise value of islands.

Reactions: ItzJazzMade